Re: Going deaf thanks to my Droid Charge screeching...
unliterate

My wife and I got Charges about a month after they came out.  After a couple of months I started getting the screeching.  My wife started getting it a few weeks later.  I put up with it for a couple of months before I called customer service.  They pretended that they didn't know what I was talking about (there were already numerous reports of it online) and had me do a factory reset.  We're seriously considering moving on from Verizon, but it's not really as though we can actually expect decent customer service anywhere else.

0 Likes
chadlnc

It has been happening on my Charge for a year or more, the only fix is a reboot and then it will come back sometime later. I actually believe that the Verizon stance on this issue is to ignore it and hope it goes away.  I have been in to the store numerous times.  They have reset the phone, replaced the 4G sim card, turned off bluetooth and wifi, had me remove the case, and check for system updates. They stall you long enough to get you out of warranty by suggesting worthless steps and then promising software updates that are coming that will fix it. I guess the hope is that you will hit your 2 year anniversary soon enough so that they can get you a new phone and charge you another $35 to renew your contract and get away from a phone that has been plagued with this problem from day one. My wife is now in possession of this wonderful phone because she doesn't make as many important conference calls, but the problem still exists.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Chadlnc, I understand how troublesome this situation can be! It sounds like you have been very proactive in trying to resolve the matter. Have you attempted to update the software on the phone? The software version (SU 4) is supposed to address the noise issues. Here are the steps to update:
From the home screen>select Applications>Select Settings>Select About phone>Select System updates. I hope this helps.

SammuelP_VZW
VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

kj1060
Enthusiast - Level 3

The update to FP1 was Supposed to address the noise issues, but it does not. I had two Droid Charges with FP1. I did multiple factory resets and pulling the battery/Sim, for a hour then putting them back in, and nothing resolved the static pop except getting rid of the Droid Charge.

chadlnc

If SU 4 is the same as FP1 then I updated the phone months ago. It didn't help at all, the problem still exists. If there are any other suggestions at this point I'm open to them.  I'm getting tired of hearing my wife complain about it now.

0 Likes
ducttape
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since the update, the noise issue STARTED on my phone. In fact, I had zero problems until after they pushed the latest update. Then many of the problems the update was supposed to fix started to happen to me. Strange how the update actually caused the problems it was supposed to fix.

0 Likes
richmondtx

I have the same issue, I can make the noise go away if I plug the phone into the charger.  I have 3 OEM batteries...2 regular and 1 extended, the issue happens with all of them.

0 Likes