Good-bye to my smart phone
Norcalman
Enthusiast - Level 3

With the news of the Nexus 7 being released in just weeks, I can't help but wonder if it should dump my Droid Incredible for a new flip phone. The 3G in my area of Northern California sucks anyway and I'm really tired of the bad updates that result in the reduced functionality of my phone. By downgrading to another more practical phone I'd be sending Verizon an important message about their prices and services.

0 Likes
Re: Good-bye to my smart phone
nlitend
Contributor - Level 1

No you really would not.  With the large number of accounts dealt with the likelyhood of just youre standing out combined with the percentage of customers who actually call in being low im sure, it will send nothing.  The updates you dont like come from the cell phone vendors, not verizon.  The fact that youre coverage isnt good where you live isnt a conspiracy.  Doing what you are talking about sends no message about prices.  I used to work in a call center for one of verizons competitors, the whiners and complainers at best get laughed at on mute during a call and then get discussed and laughed at more during breaks. 

0 Likes
Re: Good-bye to my smart phone
Norcalman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, first I have to apologize for bring up my problems with my HTC Incredible on the Motorola Droid page. I only had one beer when writing this. I swear!

Anyway, paying for a data plan that I can't utilize full time doesn't do me any good. At first it worked well but now it is hit and miss at best. If the call center people are laughing at concerns like this then let them. I'll be laughing too... all the way to the bank when my phone bill is cut in half by going with a "dumb" phone. (I wonder if the ATT reps where laughing too a couple of years ago when they got that nasty reputations for the same sort of problems I'm having now.) As I was saying: I shouldn't have to travel to Santa Rosa or Sacramento to have my phone work as promised when I bought it. In the long run as long as I have texting I'm golden, and I believe the transition to a regular phone without apps would be pretty painless if I complement it with a Nexus 7 or other device. (Yes, I know it is WiFi only)

I'm not trying to start a movement here to bring Verizon down to it's knees and if my message came off sounding that way then just know that this was not my intent. I'm just putting forth a scenario that maybe someone can relate to and possibly suggest some enhancement to my scheme. In case no one had noticed we are on the edge of getting inundated with new technology from MS (Edge), Apple (iPad 3), and now something from Amazon as well as Google's Nexus 7. With a little creativity and some flexibility on my part I might be able to overcome Verizon's short comings in service just as others have utilized the internet to get around the hubris of the cable companies.

My two cents.

0 Likes