Google Play services massive battery drain
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

Anyone else with a Droid Mini experiencing massive battery drain recently that appears to be due to Google Play services?

In the past two weeks Google Play services has been often consuming 50% or more of the battery causing the roughly a 10% to 20% loss of battery per hour. This massive battery drain sometimes goes away for a short time if the phone is turned off then back on a few minute later, only to have the battery drain return a short time later.

Tried a hard phone reset.  Phone battery drain back to normal until Google Services updates itself to Google Play services at which point the massive battery drain reappears.

Have searched around and tried numerous other methods from clearing/wiping the cache, to clearing the Google Play service cache, to uninstalling Google Play service and reinstalling it from the Google Play store, to turning off Location services, auto sync option and several other settings. Removed known battery draining programs like Facebook and Twitter. None seem to work long turn. The battery drain comes back.

The following screen capture was taken 35 minutes after fully charging the phone, battery already dropped 9%:

Screenshot_2016-06-28-09-41-15.jpg

0 Likes
1 Solution
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

The issue is the hard reset fixes the problem until the Google Services app gets updated, from then on the battery drain is intermittent. some days it happens other days it doesn't. Probably not a hardware failure unless a bad battery would cause the Google Services app to fluctuate around. What appears to be happening is the Google Services app gets stuck running and doesn't release or go into low use/low power mode.

The phone is beyond the Motorola 1 year warrantee being that the phone was purchased on 2/9/2014.

What I may have to do is do another hard reset and simply prevent the Google Services app from updating and deal with any apps that won't run without an updated Google Services app and wait to see if Google will get around to fixing this issue (high battery usage) is affecting others after seeing the various complains in the apps's comment section in the Google App Store.

I have another five screen captures from today that I'll post to a separate reply.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
54 Replies
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

Still having occasional battery drain issues. For some reason something, either an app or a core Android system file/driver is keeping the phone stuck in "Awake" mode even though the screen is off and phone is not in use which then leads to quick battery drain. Doesn't happen consistently, and because the phone cannot (easily) be rooted to install certain battery monitoring apps its hard to track down exactly what is causing these problems.

0 Likes
blahblah_gcgc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry, I was wrong. The battery drain has NOTHING to do with the cloud, I cleaned the cache for "Google App" as well as "Google play services", the problem went away. Phone is like new, battery lasts for two days. The phone has been working fine for 2 weeks.

0 Likes
blahblah_gcgc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi, I am 99% certain for "MY" battery drain, the culprit is the Verizon "Cloud". After disabling it, my G3 has been cool and NOT hot. The battery is back to normal which has been running for one and a half day.

0 Likes
JAMSTA55

I would just like to add....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!.  Good Lord, this is so unbelievably frustrating!!  Totally random, does not matter what settings I change, how many times I uninstall and reinstall apps.  I just noticed tonight that Google Play services is the largest app installed on my phone at 197MB, followed by Google App at 143MB.  How can that be???  Maybe if they would update the Droid Mini to a newer version of Android, it would solve the issues??

0 Likes
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

JAMSTA55 wrote:

I would just like to add....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!. Good Lord, this is so unbelievably frustrating!! Totally random, does not matter what settings I change, how many times I uninstall and reinstall apps. I just noticed tonight that Google Play services is the largest app installed on my phone at 197MB, followed by Google App at 143MB. How can that be??? Maybe if they would update the Droid Mini to a newer version of Android, it would solve the issues??

You can go into the Google Play services in the Apps section and clear the cache which should reduce the size of the program. Lots of complaints about how much space the program uses up: Google Play services - Android Apps on Google Play

Unfortunately we won't likely see a newer version of Android pushed to the phone other than security fixes: For our DROID Ultra/Maxx/Mini users on Verizon:We apologize that we will not…

It would be nice if Verizon/Motorola would unlock the Droid Mini so users could upgrade the OS themselves to potentially/possibly fix these and other kinds of issues. But that isn't likely to happen ever either.

0 Likes
blahblah_gcgc
Enthusiast - Level 3

yes agree,thats why I always try to get a phone with replaceable battery such as this LG G3. BTW, I've got more finding about the battery drain by "google play services".

I disabled the VZ "cloud" service and connected to my home/xfinity wifi and did not see this problem last night. I will keep you posted. If I don't see any more "google play services" drain anymore, I think we can say that the VZ "clould" is the culprit at least for my case.

0 Likes
blahblah_gcgc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Replace your battery should probably fix the random shutdown.

0 Likes
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

blahblah_gcgc wrote:

Replace your battery should probably fix the random shutdown.

While that is an option on some phones, to replace the battery on a Droid Mini requires disassembling basically the entire phone. Which runs the risk of damaging the phone irreparably.

How to Replace Droid Mini Battery EG30 - Full Length Video - Actual Time - YouTube

How to Replace Droid Mini Battery EG30 - Short Version - Replaces EG30, SNN59164a, SN5916a - YouTube

0 Likes
simonkeys

Uninstalling the updates for the Google Maps app and reinstalling, as suggested in message 23 of this thread, seems to have solved the battery drain problem on my phone. I discounted this solution before, because Maps wasn't showing high battery usage on my phone. But I did see that the battery drain was related to location requests, because turning off location services entirely stopped the drain. So I thought I would give resetting Maps a try, and it seems to have worked.

I don't think the problem on my phone had anything to do with wifi.

I am still having a problem of the phone shutting off randomly a few times a day. I had thought it was related to the battery drain, because it started happening at about the same time, but maybe it isn't actually related. Is anyone else seeing that? 

0 Likes
blahblah_gcgc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the feedback. My next test is to connect to my home wifi which is going to cause drain and 'disable' VZ "Cloud" service. My phone started to behave strangely after mid Sept. I scanned through all the updates, VZ cloud seems the most suspicious one. Hope we can find the culprit.

0 Likes
blahblah_gcgc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think it has something to do with what kind of wifi yo are connecting to. Here is my finding,

1. No issue when connecting to 4G LTE

2. My work wifi is fine

3. Xfinity wifi is fine

4. Home comcast wifi, 'google play services' drains battery like crazy

0 Likes
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

blahblah_gcgc wrote:

I think it has something to do with what kind of wifi yo are connecting to. Here is my finding,

It may in your case be related to what kind of WiFi signal you are connecting to. In my case it is not. As several of the screen captures I've posted to this thread in an effort to detail my battery drain issues with Google Services indicate, both WiFi and Data are turned off. Problem still exists. In most cases the Google Services app (or an app that relies on Google Services) is keeping the phone awake even when not in use which causes the battery to quickly drain and in some instances the back of the Droid Mini to become very warm (hot).

0 Likes
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

May or may not be related but the following URL has information on how Google Play services needs constant location info which may be leading to battery drain issues. In my case I have Location set to On but Mode set to Device Only.

Delete Google Maps? Go ahead, says Google, we'll still track you • The Register

Users have reported battery life issues with the latest Android build, with many pointing the finger at Google Play – Google's app store – and its persistent, almost obsessive need to check where you are.

Amid complaints that Google Play is always switching on GPS, it appears Google has made it impossible to prevent the app store from tracking your whereabouts unless you completely kill off location tracking for all applications.

You can try to deny Google Play access to your handheld's location by opening the Settings app and digging through Apps -> Google Play Store -> Permissions, and flipping the switch for "location." But you'll be told you can't just shut out Google Play services: you have to switch off location services for all apps if you want to block the store from knowing your whereabouts. It's all or nothing, which isn't particularly nice.

This is because Google Play services pass on your location to installed apps via an API. The store also sends your whereabouts to Google to process. Google doesn't want you to turn this off.

0 Likes
blahblah_gcgc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi I am having the same problem. My LG G3's battery has been drained by the google play services like crazy. I HATE HATE those google "updates", never felt any benefit from those updates except problems. Can Verizon fix this issue? I have to charge my phone twice a day now. Before Oct, I can charge it once every two days.

0 Likes
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

Well the battery drain came back all of a sudden. Very <expletive> frustrating. Don't know what triggered it this time. Once again Google Services is keeping the phone awake which drains the battery. Both Data and WiFi are disabled.

DroidMini91216_1_zps2c0fwemx.jpg

DroidMini91216_2_zpsfm7ytyex.jpg

0 Likes
JAMSTA55

Having precisely the same ongoing issue here.  This is beyond unacceptable.  Clearly something has been changed in the OS or Google Play Services App that needs to be addressed by the developers.  But, of course, they won't...because they just want you to get frustrated and buy a new phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely see how this would be concerning. Have you reached out to Google in regards to this matter? I'm sure they would appreciate your feedback and start to look for ways to resolve the issue. KleoL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

Yes I tried contacting Google through the Google Store app link for the Google Play service app but only got a form response back.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for letting us know bennor3814. Keeping Google informed of this issue is the best way to see a fix for this issue in the future.

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
topsyt

Updates anyone? This is beyond frustrating-Apple iphone se getting my attention.

0 Likes