Re: Google Play services massive battery drain
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

scp1 wrote:

I am also having the same issue.  Google Services always running in the 50% range, this is draining my battery.  I have been fine with my battery life until this started happening in the last few days.  Then when I try  to do anything to disable it or uninstall updates it says it could cause problems if I do it.  So annoying.

Below is the new procedure I used the other day that seems to work for me at keeping Google Play services in check so long as the phone doesn't reboot or power off. Currently runs about 4% to 5% consistently.

1. Connect the power adapter and charge the phone to 100%. Keep the power adapter plugged in.
  2. Go to Settings / Apps / All.
  3. Swipe down until you find Google Play services. Tap on it. Tap "Clear cache". Tap "Manage space", next tap "Clear All Data" and wait for data to be cleared.
  4. Back on the Google Play services app screen tap on "Uninstall updates".
  5. The phone will then throw alerts for several apps that they won't run unless one updates Google Services. Tap one of the alert messages and the Google Play Store app should open to the Google Play services app. Tap "Update" and let the app install.
  6. When app finishes installing perform a "Reboot".
  7. When phone finishes rebooting, let it charge to 100% if not already at 100%, then remove charger and periodically check Google Services battery usage.
0 Likes
scp1

Thank you, I will give this a try in the next few days.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

@Google Play Services can be hard on even a large capacity battery at times and  bennor3814 advice should offer you some good help in this area. I also would recommend you do a full sync backup before as a safety net. Also Google Street View, maps and a few others can give your battery a quick discharge. Check to see what you really need and want to keep active.

0 Likes
BEJ9561

I too had tried many of the things shown online that you apparently have tried.....except for resetting my phone....I was about to head down that path when I came across this discussion thread.   Some things said here prompted me to retry putting my phone into safe mode and to try to clear the data for Google Services one more time....I am glad I did so because I discovered that Google MAPS was instantly and constantly triggering Google Services to provide GPS info and that the MAPS app jumped up to the top of the batter consumption list at 68% and more.   I deleted the MAPS app and downloaded it again.....this appears to have solved the problem as I am on day 4 now and my battery consumption is back to normal.

I hope this helps others too.  

0 Likes
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

Another minor update. Phone ran to three days with many features turned off for long periods of time, making no calls or sending no texts, before needing to be recharged. Google Services hovered around 3% and 8%. With my normal usage, which is light couple of calls and WiFi on most of the time, I get anywhere from one day to one and a half days of usage before needing to recharge. Better but the minute the phone reboots the problems return.

Screenshot_2016-07-14_2.jpgScreenshot_2016-07-14_1.jpg

0 Likes
JAMSTA55

Having precisely the same ongoing issue here.  This is beyond unacceptable.  Clearly something has been changed in the OS or Google Play Services App that needs to be addressed by the developers.  But, of course, they won't...because they just want you to get frustrated and buy a new phone.

0 Likes
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

Yes something clearly has changed with the latest Mini Android update and or with the Google Services/Google Play Services app. I'm averaging around 48 hours at the moment with very light phone use and turning WiFi off when not needed before recharging. The minute I reboot the phone or if it shuts off, the massive battery drain returns with Google Play Services shooting up the usage charge and keeping the phone active even when the screen is off. When it happens the phone drains in less than a day when not used, drains in under 6 hours with light use. And while recharging the battery (or processor) gets very hot while Google Services is at the top of the usage chart. Very frustrating.

If I put on a tinfoil hat and engaged in wild speculation I'd say it was some evil plot to drive people into upgrading their Moto Droid Mini phones to newer models. Kind of like how every single past phone I had died or started having problems within months of my Verizon plan expiring and I'd buy a new phone and move to a new plan.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely see how this would be concerning. Have you reached out to Google in regards to this matter? I'm sure they would appreciate your feedback and start to look for ways to resolve the issue. KleoL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
SAMJAF99

It has only been one day and one charge cycle, but I appear to have found a fix for this issue with my Droid Mini.

I had a similar battery draining issue in July 2014, and contacted Motorola support directly. They suggested that I perform a "Cache Partition wipe". This does not erase any of my saved personal information, images, documents, contacts etc. My phone has run cooler and the % of Google Play service in my consumption logs has been less then 10%. More time will tell if this has completely solved this issue.

The instructions from Motorola to perform this Cache partition wipe is copied below:

Cache erase procedure due to high power consumption 1.jpg 

This "erasing" (partition wipe) took about 10 minutes with my phone, then it rebooted and all has been good so far,

Good luck,

SJ

0 Likes
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

Yes I tried contacting Google through the Google Store app link for the Google Play service app but only got a form response back.

0 Likes