Got a new Droid with insurance, now how do I get my old contacts and settings onto it?
rsbeav

Got a new Droid with insurance, now how do I get my old contacts and settings onto it?

My old phone is dead (charging port broken) but can I simply take its SD card out and put it in my new phone and have my old settings and contacts back? Or do I have to take the devices by a Verizon store?

0 Likes
Re: Got a new Droid with insurance, now how do I get my old contacts and settings onto it?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Sign in to your google account and watch the magic happen!  Your contacts should all be synced with google (as long as they were saved as google contacts, as well as a few of your system settings (wifi passwords, bluetooth connections, etc.) and all your apps should be re-installed automatically.  After you do your initial sign-in, set your phone down, and leave it alone for about an hour.  When it is done, you should see a notification telling you that your apps have been restored.  If it says partially restored, press the notification and it will take you to your "my apps" section of the market and you call manually install any that have not returned (just DO NOT close the market before you finish as you will have to hunt down the apps individually, they will be removed from "my apps").  If, however, you have saved your contacts as "phone contacts", they are tied to your phone and not your google account and will not be restored automatically.  You can take the old phone into the store, but with a broken charger port (the data connection for the phone) broken, they may not be able to help you.

0 Likes
Re: Got a new Droid with insurance, now how do I get my old contacts and settings onto it?
two4boarding

Stupid question:

I thought my contacts automatically synced with Google.  Long story short I have no contacts a day after I logged into google.  Is there anything else I can do to get my old contacts back?

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Unfortunately, if they were saved as "phone contacts" as opposed to "google contacts", they don't sync.  I believe the option pops up (or there is at least a place to select this) every time you add a new contact, but each phone is slightly different.  You can try logging onto your gmail account and finding the option to restore contacts (under more actions on the header of your contact page) but if you originally saved them as "phone contacts" you may be out of luck.  Also, on your phone, go to menu>settings>accounts & sync, select gmail, and make sure sync contacts is checked.  Another option, if you still have your old phone, is to pull up your contact list, then hit menu, then import/export and export your contacts to your SD card, then import them to your new phone.  Hope one of these solutions work for you, and at least next time you will know.

0 Likes