HDMI Output Limitations
ckelsoe1

According to https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/50803 you can use an HDMI cable to watch captured videos and photos from your DROID X on a TV or Monitor. This design decision needs to be fixed so that we can actually use the HDMI cable to display other apps (or even the entire phone UI) on a TV, monitor, or projector. For example, I would like to use software such as Documents to Go to present a powerpoint presentation from the Droid X.

Does anyone else see the need to do this and how can we convey to Motorola that we need the output to be available to other programs instead of just the photos and videos.

Apple IPhone can do this.

Hopefully we can raise awareness of this design flaw and get a resolution from Verizon / Motorola.

0 Likes
Re: HDMI Output Limitations
Wildman
Legend

Now I do agree that this would be a nice feature because I would love to be able to have my GPS play across my video unit in my truck when I place it in the car dock but keep in mind that you really cant compare one device features to another because they are diffrent device and if all was created equal there wouldnt be any reason to choose one over other, thats the inticement of the sale concept, hopefully someone with the coding ckill can develop a app for this feature and allow a blacklist and whitelist of what will and wont be viewed through the HDMI.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

I wouldn't expect Motorola to unlock it.  They made it so the HDMI drivers are only active when in the Gallery so 3rd party apps couldn't access it. I'm sure someone will crack it eventually though. 

0 Likes
amescattle

I agree. I called verizon today and they told me that you can use hdmi out with doc 2 go.. I have not tried it yet.

0 Likes