HTC Incredible - Android upgrade to 2.3.4
njyank57

Just accepted a software update for the HTC incredible to Android version 2.3.4.    At least 2/3s of the apps on the phone no longer work and the workaround I have found is to download the app again and reinstall it on the phone.  Not a good solution.  Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how have you solved it.

0 Likes
Re: HTC Incredible - Android upgrade to 2.3.4
jikhead

No, but I did a backup of all my apps and haven't actually installed of them back onto the phone.  I do have the VW WIFI Auto-On app not working though.

0 Likes
andy1rh
Go to settings/sd card and scroll down to unmount sd card. Click unmount and wait for a few seconds. Then click mount sd card. Your apps should come back in half a minute or so. If not repeat the process. Worked for me on both updates. It's annoying but I know what to do next time they roll out an update
0 Likes
thumbalinaus

YES I've been having problems also! It's driving me nuts actually. My apps aren't working correctly, my battery is dying quickly, and my phone is either freezing or moving ridiculously slow- I'm ready to throw the darn thing away!! Is there a way to revert to previous OS?

0 Likes
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

@thumbalinaus,

I understand how frustrating these issues can be and I'm here to help.

I apologize but once you have updated the SW we can not change your device back to the previous SW version.

What troubleshooting steps have you tried? Have you made sure all Apps running in the background are closed to help preserve battery life?

Many times issues after a SW update can be resolved by performing a hard reset. Have you tried this? If not please perform the hard reset and post back if you continue to have these issues. I will be more than happy to further assist you. 

0 Likes
mkf219

John B - You need to realize how unacceptable "do a hard reset" is as an aswer to these problems.  That seems to be the stock answer from verizon regardless of the problem.  You must realize what a pain it is to set a phone up again after doing a hard reset.

Verizon and the the phone makers need to take more ownership of the software and updates that they force on us users.  When problems like these arise they need to be acknowledged immediately and need to be pro actively fixed.

Next time when someone has a problem try solving it instead telling them to do a hard reset.

By the way, a hard reset rarely fixes the numerous problmes with this crappy gingerbread update on the incredible.

Verizon's wireless serive may be excellent, but your technical support of these types of issues can only be described as unacceptable and horrendous.

0 Likes
brooklynotss
Enthusiast - Level 1

wipe the cache partition (his will not delete your data or apps):

Boot into recovery

1. Press and hold Power, Choose "Restart" option
    2. When screen turns off, press and hold Volume Down and Power
  1. When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to “RECOVERY.”
  2. Press the Power button to select “RECOVERY.”
  3. When the Green Arrows and\or triangle and exclamation appears, hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
  4. Using the volume button, scroll down to “Wipe cache partition” and select it (power button).
  5. Select "Reboot system now"
Now you have enough space to download and install the additional update. Verizon released 2 updates for the HTC Incredible, I'm guessing you only got one. Go to Settings> About Phone> Software> Build - 4.06 right? there is a 4.08 that (allegedly) resolves this Low on Space problem.
To get that update immediately (recommend connecting to WiFi for the download):
  • Go to Settings> Date\Time> Uncheck Automatic and manually set your clock ahead 1 month
  • Then go to Settings> About Phone> System Updates and it should be there waiting for you.
  • follow the prompts, it'll take about 10 minutes.
0 Likes
nimiaj
Contributor - Level 3

@njyank57, Can you check under menu->settings->about phone->Software Information and tell us what the Software Number is? The problem that you are describing here is known to happen with the 4.06 version build. Since then a new patch with software number 4.08.x.x has been released. If you are not on 4.08, then before you do anything follow the steps that someone has already posted on this thread to force a 4.08 software update on your phone.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
budone
Legend
My inactive Dinc received the updateast night and all apps that had been on it are still are. Although I did have a lot to update.
0 Likes
coxxja2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Works just as your instructions said it  would!!!

Thank you very much.

Jim

0 Likes