Help with restoring contacts
oldestgal

Woke up yesterday and was missing MANY phone numbers in my contact list (even my mom's!).  Checked google, and they are missing there too (names, addresses and email accounts are still there for most as far as I can tell).  Just went on to Backup Assistant and the missing numbers appear to be there Smiley Happy  I have hit Sync, but only 9 numbers sync up.  I have selected all and tried syncing again, still only 9 showing updated.  Any suggestions?  I have checked the settings in the main menu of contacts and all selections are checked under phone, SIM and Google.  Please help!  I don't want to mess this up.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help with restoring contacts
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like Backup Assistant is acting funny again.

Since you say that the number appear to listed on the My Verizon Backup Assistant website, I would suggest that you export the contact out of Backup Assistant and import them into your Google account.

Once you have loaded the contacts into Google, they should sync with the rest of your Google contacts onto your phone.

Then you can stop using Backup Assistant altogether.

Also for any new contacts from this point on, you will want to be sure that you save them as Google contacts.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like Backup Assistant is acting funny again.

Since you say that the number appear to listed on the My Verizon Backup Assistant website, I would suggest that you export the contact out of Backup Assistant and import them into your Google account.

Once you have loaded the contacts into Google, they should sync with the rest of your Google contacts onto your phone.

Then you can stop using Backup Assistant altogether.

Also for any new contacts from this point on, you will want to be sure that you save them as Google contacts.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
oldestgal

Thank you. I wish I could figure out what caused this to begin with. Something is definitely wrong. I manually re-added one particular contact yesterday and saved as google contact. It is not showing up today anywhere. Possible virus?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

How did you manually add the one contact?  Through the phone or did you enter into the gmail account contact list on the web?  It is possible that the contact wasn't synced properly with the Google servers or you have hidden the display of some contacts.

0 Likes
oldestgal

Manually.  BTW, I just imported the CVS file from Back-up to Google Contacts but telephone numbers were still not picked up.  They are showing up in the CVS data.  I'm sure I've got something set wrong somewhere, just going crazy trying to figure out where.  I've rebooted my phone several times, I've tried google restore back 30 days, nothing will pick these numbers up.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Hmm that a strange one, usually importing from BA to Google resolves this, have you tried deleting all contacts from Google and then import the contacts from the CVS file from BA?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perhaps you used the wrong export format when you exported them out of BA.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/how_to_use/manage_bua_online/export_contacts.html

Otherwise I am at a loss.

0 Likes
oldestgal

BINGO.  I just finished putting everything into google contacts, and merging duplicates.  Looks like most of what I was missing were probably phone contacts (entered prior to smartphone).  Now, should I change some setting in my sync so that they are not wiped again?  Any words of wisdom?  You've been more than helpful and I appreciate your time. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

0 Likes
oldestgal

Thanks for your reply.  It was an error on my part (exported wrong format).  Have any clues as to why they were wiped to begin with?  Appears they were all phone contacts (added pre-smartphone).  Do I need to tweak a setting?  I appreciate your help!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The best word of wisdom is the use the Google contacts and also to backup the contacts to the sd card. There will be an options under the contacts application menu where yiu can export the contacts to the sd card.

A copy saved on a computer can't hurt either.

0 Likes