How Tough Is the Droid?
traviz

I currently own a (HTC) VX6700 that has withstood many falls and still works.  Now granted I have it in a case made out of aircraft aluminum but I'm wondering if anyone has dropped their droid yet?  Not that we ever want that to happen but I am looking for comments on the durability of the phone.  I am highly considering upgrading but very concerned about protecting it.  

Also has anyone used the screen protectors?  Do they interfere with the use of the phone any?  I've never used any so that's why I'm asking.  

I'm also wondering how easily does the Droid synch with Microsoft Outlook?  My current phone runs WinMO and I synch it with ActiveSync which has worked well for me.  I really need to be able to sync. my calendar and tasks.  I've seen that you have Google calendar which syncs with Outlook but doesn't look like is does tasks.  Any comments about this would also be appreciated. 

One more thing...I use LogMeIn to access my home computer.  Looks like Android is not supported by LogMeIn yet from what I've read?  Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for your comments.

0 Likes
Re: How Tough Is the Droid?
JIMJ77777
Enthusiast - Level 2

GOT INSURANCE? DROP IT AND FIND OUT? :womansurprised:

0 Likes
amitjusc

It's a heavy brick and can probably survive many hard falls.  the glass screen would probably take a lot to crack, and since there is no hard drive involved, dropping it shouldn;t cause data loss.

0 Likes
traviz

I'm well aware of Verizon's insurance but I've found it's usually not worth the cost of having it.  I'm just looking for other people's experiences.  It's probably too early to tell at this point.

0 Likes
traviz

Yeah I played with one in the store and it does seem quite durable.  It's actually lighter than what I have now so weight should not be an issue for me.

0 Likes
EricSeipel

The iPhone has a similar glass screen... I have watched a IPhone fall 4ish feet (hands to floor) land flat on its face and shatter the screen not really usable after that. Hows that for Hands on experience...get it, hands on :smileyhappy:  also seen similar to that with a black berry...he now calls it his crack berry, but it still works.

BTW insurance is worth it...its a $600 phone to replace...compared with 6 a month and a $50 deductible.

0 Likes
jrdante
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have the Droid and purchased a Body Glove case for it.  Rubberized PVC.  Seems like it will protect pretty well.  Even if you drop it face down...the body glove case sticks out a little to keep it off the floor.

0 Likes
amitjusc

If you drop it on the screen on rugged concrete, it will probably shatter (the screen).  However, I performed some test drops onto a soft surface, and found that it did not rotate at all when dropped.  Therefore, you would have to drop it screen down, or drop it spinning at a low spin rate so that a corner or side doesn't hit before the screen.  In other words, it is very unlikely, but I am sure someone will find a way to fail miserably and shatter their screen.

As for screen protectors and body gloves, I personally hate those and want to feel my naked phone (ewwww).  I have the leather belt case from Verizon which is good enough for me.

Update:  I just accidentally dropped the phone and the battery cover and battery came flying out.  No scratches anywhere (it landed on a hard tile floor) and good to go.  I am my own worst enemy.

0 Likes
SSHGuru
Contributor - Level 1

I had the Body Glove and returned it - it made button pushing hard and I just prefered the "naked" phone..

Also if you buy one of these forget about using the dock - won't fit.

0 Likes