How do I disable my Proximity detector?
markusdark
Enthusiast - Level 1

My proximity detector is broken.  It thinks that my phone is always next to my ear so when I make a call, the screen immediately blanks until the other person hangs up the phone, and then I have to cycle my screen off and on.  Until then, the only thing I can do is power off my phone.

I wanted to know if there was some way to turn off the proximity detector until I can get the issue looked at by a technician.  Is there a toggle in the settings somewhere, a code I can enter or some way to boot up into a root system to remove the function of the proximity detector?  I don't care if it stays on when it's next to my face.

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Proximity detector blacks screen whenever I make a call
deloused
Master - Level 3

Yes there is, depending on software version-

1) Open the dialer and put in ##7764726 and press call.

2) Enter 000000 (zeros) for the SPC code.

3) Scroll down to Proximity Sensor

4) Disable it

If you can't that menu with your software version or if you want to look at alternative options there are also several apps in the Google play store that provide functionality to turn off the proximity sensor. And just in case, make sure nothing is obstructing the sensor, sometimes a case, screen protector or debris covering it can cause those symptoms too.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Proximity detector blacks screen whenever I make a call
deloused
Master - Level 3

Yes there is, depending on software version-

1) Open the dialer and put in ##7764726 and press call.

2) Enter 000000 (zeros) for the SPC code.

3) Scroll down to Proximity Sensor

4) Disable it

If you can't that menu with your software version or if you want to look at alternative options there are also several apps in the Google play store that provide functionality to turn off the proximity sensor. And just in case, make sure nothing is obstructing the sensor, sometimes a case, screen protector or debris covering it can cause those symptoms too.

0 Likes