I feel like I just got taken big time!
jrnewhouse

I just got off the phone with Verizon Customer Service, and I feel like I've been subjected to the big shakedown.  First, some background.  My mom had a cell phone account with two lines, one hers and one mine.  For a number of reasons, we decided to transfer ownership of the account to me, so she called CS and gave verbal consent for that to happen.  After that was done, I had to get on the line and agree to accept responsibility for the account.  No problem so far.  The CS rep and I start talking, and she notices that I just got a Droid Incredible.  We proceed to have a nice conversation about how great the phone is, and the backorder problems, etc.  Then the hammer drops!  She informs me that HTC will not honor the manufacturer warranty on the phone since I am assuming responsibility for the account.  She tells me that my only options are to pay $1.99 a month to buy the extended warranty, or some greater amount of money (7 or 8 dollars a month) for more coverage.  What a rip off!  First of all, nothing about the account changed except the name of the primary owner.  Second, I paid the $150 for the phone and they are now telling me that I will not get the warranty that I am entitled to unless I pay them extra.  Of course, she said that it is HTC's fault, not Verizon.  What a way to treat long time customers!

0 Likes
Re: I feel like I just got taken big time!
mdb296

How is this Verizon Wireless' fault?  If you read the owner's manual it states that the manufacture's warranty is only valid to the original buyer. If you change the account owner then technically you are not the orignal buyer.  Changing the owner of the account is an option not a requirement and they were just informing you so you could make an educated decision. If you buy a new car then sell it to your mother does she get the manufactures warranty... no.

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

mdb296 wrote:

How is this Verizon Wireless' fault?  If you read the owner's manual it states that the manufacture's warranty is only valid to the original buyer. If you change the account owner then technically you are not the orignal buyer.  Changing the owner of the account is an option not a requirement and they were just informing you so you could make an educated decision. If you buy a new car then sell it to your mother does she get the manufactures warranty... no.

Your first point was accurate, however your second point is inaccurate. If you transfer ownership of a new vehicle, the manufacterer's warranty does, in fact, transfer to the new owner.

Just tossing that out there...

0 Likes
jrnewhouse

mdb296 wrote:

Apparently, you did not read my post.  I am talking about the phone itself.  I was the original buyer of the phone, so whether the phone service contract is under my name or another family member's name, I feel that I am still entitled to get the manufacturers (HTC) warranty on the phone itself.  The CS rep I talked to said that it was HTC's fault, not theirs, and maybe it is.  But I do fault Verizon for agreeing to conditions with a phone manufacturer that ends up screwing their customers in certain circumstances.  In my opinion, it is not a good business practice and certainly doesn't foster any sense of customer loyalty or satisfaction.

0 Likes
Obiareus
Enthusiast - Level 3

ok here is another car reference that might clear this up(maybe not satisfy you but it does make sense)

A car dealer buys a car doesn't mean that the manufacture's warranty starts as soon as the car is delivered from the factory. It starts when the car is REGISTERED and is assigned to that person until that car is signed over to someone else(because cars work this way) HOWEVER phones don't(and are not required) to transfer Man. Warranty to people past the first owner. The account that activated your phone was under your mom's name so she is the first REGISTERED owner of your DINC so therefore when you took over the account you don't get the warranty.

Hope this helps explain how it works. Like i said it may not be what you want to hear. but it is how it works

Obiareus

0 Likes