Re: I hate the Droid!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Could be wrong since I don't use outlook and don't want Lotus notes to sync with my phone since I don't want my work e-mail, contacts, or calendar to sync with my droid.  they don't pay for my phone and I can't work from home so I could give a rats [edit] what e-mails come in while I am away from here but I think the Motorola software for the phone will sync with outlook.

{word filter avoidance}

0 Likes
Re: I hate the Droid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
immobile2
Yes, to each their own, but me, like many others have had a dozen WinMo's , Nokia's, etc. , not to mention evaluated most that have existed, and this Droid w/ it's HTML5 is lightning quick and will light up a website like my Laptop, w/ the exception of flash support, or the lack there of, and size. All within reason.
0 Likes
angryGTS

Bluetooth works perfectly fine in my car(Mitsubishi EVO X), every feature works perfectly, voice dialing etc.  Get a better/newer bluetooth if you talk on the phone so much while driving, simple as that. 

0 Likes
mikeynavy1

While I kind of understood the original post...his follow-up was bad...and his tone is unprofessional.  Doesn't sound like the type of businessman I'd ever want to deal with...[edit]  If he is getting this spun up over a cell phone, didn't get the "agreement" he was hoping for, and can't take a little constructive criticism[edit]

{no personal comments, please}

0 Likes
tonyor

First of all, you are taking a criticism of an inanimate object and turning it into a personal attack against me.Talk about being unprofessional! You know nothing about me.

These are the facts:

1) The salesperson at the store could not download my contacts from my old phone into the droid because she did not have the adadpter, so I could not try it out with the handsfree. The battery on my headset was dead, so we could not pair the droid to it.

2) She assured me that the voice activated dialing would work from a hands free headset. The reviews I did read on the phone did not even mention it.

3) I did not realize how cumbersome the lack of this feature is to someone who conducts his business from his car and rent a cars. I also did not realize how dangerous the lack of this feature is until I tried it in my car.

4) I did return the phone after 3 days. This same salesperson was there and gave me that deer in the headlights look. Her manager was standing next to her and just shook his head. I did not pay a restocking fee. There was someone there who just purchased a droid. When he overheard the conversation, he immediately returned the droid. His car was a stick shift SAAB. He was not told either.

5) This is a safety and legal issue. There is an ever increasing list of states  that require the use of handsfree cell phones. These include such sparsely populated and unimportant states such as California, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Illinois, and Washington. Handheld electronic devices are banned in Canada while driving. Handsfree is not banned in Canada. The Motorola droid is not a true handsfree. You must pick up the phone and go through 3 separate steps to activate the feature. It is hansfree in receiving calls. Illinois, the state of Morotola's corporate headquarters, joined the ban on Jan. 1 of this year.

6) This is the first PDA that I have had in the last dozen years that does not sync automatically with Outllook via cable or bluetooth.I was willing to pay for an app to overcome that problem, but not in addition to not having a true hands free.

It is still inconceibeable that such a powerful device could still lack the handsfree feature, especially in light of the current trend in driving laws.

My intent was not to post any more on this forum but to check in once in while to see if an update would be available, but not when people are attacking me without knowing the facts.

Tony

0 Likes
rkushner

Take a look at the HTC Touch Pro 2. It has about the highest satisfaction rating of any phone on Verizon, it runds Windows Mobile, great display and physical QWERTY!

0 Likes
Not applicable

I posted a solution to the handsfree issue, but the moderators won't let me bump it up.  It's on the second or third page.  You just have to press the camera button once, then it's hands free from there.

0 Likes
angryGTS

Here's a fact for you completely hands free(without touching DROID) DOES work.  http://s885.photobucket.com/albums/ac53/angryGTS/?action=view&current=DSCF1206.flv

I have made no mods whatsoever to the phone and am not using any other bluetooth software from the app store or anything, I say "call" or "dial" and it works flawlessly, I suggest maybe getting new bluetooth hardware that supports bluetooth 2.1.  Unless MOTO plans on releasing a backwards compatible Bluetooth software for 2.0 for the old headsets.

0 Likes
tonyor

Wrong! The droid does not work with a headset

The handsfree voice activated dialing works with NO Bluetooth headset, Bluetooth 2.1 or otherwise. This includes any of Motorola's own headsets. Check the Motorola website.Both of my headsets are 2.1, and one is an eight week old Motorola.

For some odd reason,  it does seem to work with SOME car Bluetooth systems, but NOT ALL. I am not about to trade in an '08 car with only 20,000 miles on it just to get my phone to work in handsfree mode. Besides, it does not help me when I have a rent a car, which seems to be the majority of the time for me now. Some rent a cars do have this feature, but I have to pair the car's Bluetooth with the phone to find out. Again, check the Motorola website. In addition, the in car systems tend to be noisy.

As far as the camera button getting reassigned to activate the phone, this is a kludge. One has to disable the camera function in order to get the hands free function to work,  and it technically is not a handsfree since you have to touch the phone.

Look guys, no matter how you cut it, this is not a true handsfree phone. In light of the current trend in driving laws and overall safety considerations, this is a serious and egregious oversight in the design of the phone. My girlfriend got rear ended at a stop light yesterday by a woman who was talking on the phone without a headset. A while back, I was standing at an intersection in Schaumberg, IL and saw a Suburban run a red light and plow into 5 cars. The woman driver was clearly holding her phone in her hand and either texting or talking. There is no excuse for stupidity of this magnitude. We all have seen enough incidents of this type.

Apparently, there is no easy fix to this problem. There are over 1500 complaints on the Motorola droid forum. only second to the lack of Arabic. The 2.1 operating system update does not address this problem.

If it does get fixed, I will go out and get a droid.

Tony

0 Likes
Not applicable

I think the camera button is an excellent $4.00 solution.  True, it's not totally handsfree, but it's essentially as easy to press the camera button as it is to press a button on your bluetooth headset.  For incoming calls, you just press your headset button to answer.  Also, the camera button is reactivated as soon as you open the camera application.  So, I think this is a non-issue unless you're just looking for something to complain about. 

0 Likes