I laugh at my Droid and VZW because there's nothing else I can do...
gibson92

This is probably my third replacement, meaning this is the fourth Motorola Droid phone I have had in less than two years that has caused me nothing but problems. Let me make things as clear as possible: I ONLY use my phone to text and grab directions "on-the-go" via Google Maps (and I do that sparingly). I do not have many third-party apps because I limit my options to cause anymore defects. With the first three Droids, the phone would overheat at times or go haywire at others. I mean it would do things completely on its own and I would just look at it and laugh because I have been there with previous VZW phones. Now with this one, it has not gone crazy yet but it does overheat for no reason. It overheats randomly to the point that it almost burns to touch. All I can do then is remove the battery and hope for it to cool down. I have read that there have been issues of phones literally exploding and as hot as my phone was this morning, I am now a believer. I can deal with the constant faulty replacements that I and everyone else seem to have to endure, but if these "faulty" models are becoming a hazard to my health, what more can I do? I am at my wits end, Verizon.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I laugh at my Droid and VZW because there's nothing else I can do...
Not applicable

Good Afternoon!

I know it's a headache getting a replacement phone, not to mention several in a short period of time. Please know, Verizon Wireless has a strict quality checklist for each device we send out as a Certified Like-New Replacement and a very small amount end up return. About the same as any brand new device sees. After all, its an electric and that's why manufactures offer a warranty on them.  Please PM me so we can discuss in-depth what is going on and make sure we resolve this issue for you. 

See more on the Certified Like-New Replacement program here.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gibson92

Ah, I forgot to add, my phone randomly mutes itself when I'm in the middle of conversations, even when it's on speaker. Never seen a phone do that before. I could be in the middle of an important conversations when "hello, hello" is all I'm hearing while I'm talking and then "click."

0 Likes
latvala

I am definitely laughing with you....I "upgraded" to a Droid Pro about almost 3 weeks ago and it's been replaced 3 times with 4 trips to the Verizon store.  Today will be my 5th trip and I'm quite sure, my 4th phone.

Trip #1:  I left the store with the phone working, and 1/2 hour later, nothing.  Wouldn't do anything.  Called customer service and after an hour, was advised that it wasn't activated correctly and to take it back to the store.

Trip #2:  Took back to store, spent over an hour - took 30 minutes to reactivate the phone.  Later that night, stopped working completely.  Again, over an hour with customer service, said that the phone was "faulty" and needed to be replaced.

Trip #3:  Took back to store (different one) and phone was replaced and re-activated.  I have 2 Yahoo accounts and was told that there was no way to view both accounts through the email application on the home page.  Showed me a very long way to get to both accounts.  Later that evening, every other call received had so much static that I couldn't hear anything at all.  Called customer service and advised me to take it back in and have it replaced.

Trip #4:  Took back to store - employee noted that there was indeed something wrong, but found that hard to believe since he "never gets complaints" about this phone.  Addressed the static issue, so he called out several times - I mentioned to him that calling out wasn't the problem, it was receiving calls.  He said that when he calls out, the phone bounces back, in essence calls my number back.  He detected no static.  Upon my insistence, he called my number with his phone...and there was the static.  Phone replaced AGAIN.  Noted the last person didn't set up my email or Facebook around properly.  I guess you CAN get to both Yahoo accounts quite easily and showed me how.  Said that the other store was to blame.

Phone worked great for about 3 days, when the static showed back up.  Call customer service back and they instructed me to remove the SIM card as it's not really needed since I am not using my phone overseas.    I am getting a message Now the phone shuts off when I dial a number out.  When the phone boots back up, I have to try 2 different methods in order for the phone to call out.  Now my "arrow up" on the home screen doesn't work; and I have to take the phone back AGAIN and go through the set up AGAIN.

All the while, I am being told that they NEVER get complaints about this phone.  I am my wit's end with this experience and don't know if I should just go back to Blackberry or try another phone.  Of course, no one is offereing any type of compensation for the hassle; and the hours of being in the store AND on the phone with customer service.

I am about to give up, pay the cancellation fee at Verizon and go to another carrier.

0 Likes
gibson92

Honestly, I think your best bet may be to get another service. I would have paid my cancellation fee and switched elsewhere if I was not on a shared family plan. My only concern is that if a specific phone is malfuntioning, why is it being sold in the first place? 

0 Likes
Not applicable
Please, don't attempt to speak for "everyone else." I have had my Motorola Droid for 17 months and have had zero problems with it. I use it as a phone, for texting, navigation, and with my Slingbox. It works flawlessly.
0 Likes
gibson92

The "everyone else" I refered to actually references to everyone that has had to return their phone for a factory refurbished phone which was previously used, malfunctioned, and returned. If a unit has been labeled as faulty, it should not be shipped. 

0 Likes
Not applicable
Yea, I think you guys are just swapping phones back and forth with each other.
0 Likes
gibson92

I hope that isn't the case, but we have no idea what kind of tests phones go through when they are returned and when they are being shipped. We are not even sure if the phones are actually tested before being shipped as a refurbished replacement to someone else. For all we know, Motorola might just do a "Factory Data Reset" and send it back to Verizon, who sends it to someone in need of a replacement.

0 Likes
Not applicable
I'm sure that's exactly what happens if it's a random defect they can't reproduce.
0 Likes
Not applicable

Good Afternoon!

I know it's a headache getting a replacement phone, not to mention several in a short period of time. Please know, Verizon Wireless has a strict quality checklist for each device we send out as a Certified Like-New Replacement and a very small amount end up return. About the same as any brand new device sees. After all, its an electric and that's why manufactures offer a warranty on them.  Please PM me so we can discuss in-depth what is going on and make sure we resolve this issue for you. 

See more on the Certified Like-New Replacement program here.

Thank you!

0 Likes