Incredible issues with Network Extender?
jstuart91

Are there any known issues that prevent the Incredible from working with a Network Extender? The issue that I am having with mine is that I am able to recieve calls, but not make them with the extender. I don't believe that it is a problem with the extender as I am on my 2nd unit now and this one is having the exact same problem as the last one.

When I try to make a call while in the network extender area, the phone dials the number and never connects. After about 40 seconds of sitting on the dialing screen, a pop up window opens stating "The network is busy, please try again later." While the phone is attempting to dial, the network light on the extender does not flash or give any indication that a call is being made. This happens dialing #48, *228, as well as any normal phone number.

The recieve side of the extender seems to be working great. When recieving calls I get the beeps right when I answer like I should, and the call quality is great with no dropping of calls like I usually have without the extender.

The first thing I did was double check that the MAC address showing in My Verizon matched the one on the unit, which it did, and that I had listed my phone under the priority users. Then I called tech support and working with tech support we have tried cycling power to the extender, router, and modem. Tried plugging the extender directly into the modem. I've also tried making calls with the data network disabled, rebooting the phone, and last night I even did a factory reflash of the phone to make sure no app I've installed was interfering with the connection to the extender. Nothing has worked.

If anything knows of anything that might get it to work, it would be greatly apreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Incredible issues with Network Extender?
FōnJunky

I feel your pain.  My wife and I both have the Inc. and she says she does not have this issue, but she's... "special" let's say, and not likely to notice if she were having the issue.  I am replying in hopes this Big Red community works like other forums and will send me updates when someone posts.  Sorry, I was not your answer, but I have been searching the forums and coming up empty.  If you Google this issue it looks like the Eris had this problem, without the Network Extender.  So is it an HTC thing?

All I know is the Network Extender worked great for my other phones.  It sucks that we're on the "best" network but need these darn things.  In my area the coverage line stops about three blocks from my house?  We could barely make calls outside before the extender.

Sent from my Incredible Fōn...  The Apple eater.

0 Likes
Ambreezy
Contributor - Level 3

The Network Extender is compatible with all Verizon Wireless phones. Not available in the Extended Enhanced Services coverage area or outside of the United States. A minimum broadband speed of 1 Mbps is required.  The Network Extender is not supported for use with EVDO, satellite or wireless broadband service. Click on the link below to access information for Network Extender.

http://support.vzw.com/clc/faqs/Equipment/network_extender.html

0 Likes
bmcneely0

I just wanted to add my two cents worth.  I've got an HTC Incredible and also have intermittant problems.  I powered up my old Blackberry 8330 and it works with the extender every time.  I've got a ticket open and support is looking at it.  Here are some tips that seem to help the Incredible register that support gave me while they investigate:

1. Dial #22804 and hang up when it asked you to press some number for spanish.  Sometimes the Incredible will kick over to the Extender.

2. Do the old pull the battery and reset the phone.   This will sometimes help as well. 

Given that the Blackberry connects every time it looks like support is looking at it from a phone perspective.  I have to say that Verizon has been very good about working with me on this.  I went to the store to return it because the warranty was about to run out while the ticket was open and they extended the return period to 30 days in the store to give support more time to investigate so I'm not stuck with a $250 paper weight if they can fix it.  But seriously, this thing or the Incredible don't always get along IMHO.

0 Likes
bmcneely0

Just a few updates and one correction.  The "tip" to use #22804 should be *22804.  This one seems to work fairly often, though it still doesn't explain why the HTC doesn't always register with the extender while the Blackberry does.  I also sent a note to HTC and got this response:

Thank you for your email regarding signal issues on your HTC Droid Incredible device from Verizon Wireless.

We appreciate your feedback, Brad; we know how important customer feedback is to our products. Your comments have been noted.

I recommend you change the position of your hand on your device and evaluate the result. It is conceivable that your hand may be obstructing the antenna on your phone. If the issue pertains to Wi-Fi connectivity, please test the connection with no obstructions, e.g., a door or a wall.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

Sincerely,

William

HTC

I have to say that after receiving that message I'll probably make my next Android phone either a Motorolo or LG.  I was a big fan of HTC until this.

0 Likes
wat
Enthusiast - Level 3

Your problem has hopefully been solved by now.  However, I learned an interesting thing about my extender and connectivity problems.  My extender would connect with all of the "non-smart" phones in our household.  It would NOT connect with my Samsung Droid. 

Talked to tech support.  He changed the system ID of the extender from 57 to the number of the Verizon system the extender was located in (318).  Problem solved.  Everything now connects.  Apparently the newer smart phones prioritize which systems they will roam onto.  System 57 is way down their list (PRL list) and they will avoid it like the plague.  Now that my extender is not part of system 57 all is good.

Don't know if this applies to your situation or not, but if you are still having problems it might be worth it to check and see which system your extender is registered to.

0 Likes
AndrewAtIAD

wat,

Do you remember who you talked to at Verizon that fixed this issue? I have the same problem. iPhone 4S and BlackBerry (don't recall the specific model) work great. The HTC incredible won't switch over. It has the latest PRL. Murphy's law, it's the incredible that needs the network extender most frequently as that user spends a lot of time in our basement.

I'm sure if I call Verizon and say "I need the system ID of my network extender changed from 57 to <x>" that I will get nowhere with front line support.

Andrew

0 Likes