Re: Info on HTC Hero and Motorola Droid
electrickoolade

the average these days for new smartphones would be either $150 or $200 with a 2 yr. contract, but with the Droid, I wouldn't be suprised if Verizon banged us extra hard and tacked on another $50 or $100. My guess would have to be $250 w/2yr. contract

0 Likes
Paleogirl2003
Enthusiast - Level 1

In a comments thread on one of the boy genius report articles talking about the droid, one of the posters said that this phone will require a 29.99 extra data plan even if your plan includes unlimited data.

can anyone confirm or deny this (I really hope it isn't true)?

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

We won't know pricing till it comes out apparently but Paleo I imagine it is a common smartphone plan basically you get basic voice and whatever messaging you need and pay $30 a month for unlimited email and data.  I doubt you will even be able to get it with the higher end plans you will have to have Basic or connect and add the data plan.  It will also likely go up by your next contract to keep up with all the data demands. 

0 Likes
northendtrooper

For me that is extremely cheap. I remember when PDA's 1st came out and even with an upgrade they were unreal. I'll take the $250 upgrade and be happy with it.

0 Likes
n0yxl
Enthusiast - Level 3

northendtrooper wrote:

For me that is extremely cheap. I remember when PDA's 1st came out and even with an upgrade they were unreal. I'll take the $250 upgrade and be happy with it.

No Kidding!  At $6-700 it was really only buying one if you could write it off.  Times have changed.

0 Likes
fatejd

Did everybody see about the Droid event next Wednesday?

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/10/21/verizon-hosting-droid-event-on-october-28/

I'm sure we'll know most everything there is to know after that...

0 Likes
sonyab523

The HTC Hero will be called HTC Desire by Verizon. It will be out next month.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/22/verizons-htc-desire-spotted-in-the-wild-lauching-soon/comm...

0 Likes
Motorola Droid appears on Motorola's site, CPU underclocked at 550MHZ
sonyab523

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/ci.Motorola-DROI...

The CPU is actually 600 MHZ as predicted but it has been underclocked at 550 MHZ. Some reasons for this may be battery life, and over heating. There are apps to clock it out at 800 MHZ but I don't recommend it. Your battery life will suck.

0 Likes
Re: Motorola Droid appears on Motorola's site, CPU underclocked at 550MHZ
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah that hurt it in my eyes.  This was supposed to be the big iPhone competitor but now it has a slower processor.  I will probably still end up with this cause the physical keypad is something I really need but I am not really sure I even like the final keypad design on this thing.  Final reveal even if it is secret is a little disappointing.  The HTC may be cool but no physical keypad concerns me.  I may have to wait till early next year.  That really saddens me. 

0 Likes
Re: Motorola Droid appears on Motorola's site, CPU underclocked at 550MHZ
n0yxl
Enthusiast - Level 3

fezzik wrote:

Yeah that hurt it in my eyes.  This was supposed to be the big iPhone competitor but now it has a slower processor.  I will probably still end up with this cause the physical keypad is something I really need but I am not really sure I even like the final keypad design on this thing.  Final reveal even if it is secret is a little disappointing.  The HTC may be cool but no physical keypad concerns me.  I may have to wait till early next year.  That really saddens me. 

It's only a 50mhz drop on the Cortex A8; it isn't a big deal IMO.  Android runs faster than iPhone OS anyways. 

Look at the Palm Pre -they are running the same CPU @ 100mhz underclocked, and the phone still flies!

0 Likes