Re: Annoucement
100RBIs

Sorry if this is a repost, or even the wrong thread.

I currently have the HTC Imagio and have used WinMo for the last 6 years.  I really, really like this phone, but I'm considering (before my 30 days are up) to send it back and get the Droid next week.

Here are my concerns that I'm not sure Android 2.0 can do effectively that WinMo does wonderfully...please can someone help iron this out so I can make a good decision:

1) My WinMo Imagio tethers like an absolute CHAMP..it never drops.  I have a great app for tethering.  I have heard many problems with the T-mobile G1 phone tethering options.

- I am hoping with the popularity of the Doid, someone will come up with a solution.  What do you guys/gals think?

2) My WinMo Imagio syncs flawlessly with my PC laptop.  The tasks, appointments, contacts, calendar, MS exchange push...all amazingly simple.

- Will Android 2.0 OS be able to match this?  I have heard the G1 syncs all this stuff to your Google account, then forwards it to your phone...not cool.

3) WinMo Imagio has the Opera browser which is very intuitive and has come A LONG WAY since the old opera browsers.  I seriously believe it is a little slower than iPhone safari, but makes up for it by being more functional.

- Will Android 2.0 have an amazing browser and be user friendly...I have heard great things about it.

4) Imagio has native MS Office docs.  Perfect for my work!

- Will Android 2.0 force you to use Google docs?  Are there other options?  I know DataViz has Documents to Go.  Not sure about others.

Can someone please take some time to address these 4 concerns!  Thank you.  My number one concerns are the syncing and the tethering.

- Will Android 2.0 force users to use Google Docs

0 Likes
HeyItsThatGuy
Enthusiast - Level 2

100RBIs wrote:

Sorry if this is a repost, or even the wrong thread.

I currently have the HTC Imagio and have used WinMo for the last 6 years.  I really, really like this phone, but I'm considering (before my 30 days are up) to send it back and get the Droid next week.

Here are my concerns that I'm not sure Android 2.0 can do effectively that WinMo does wonderfully...please can someone help iron this out so I can make a good decision:

1) My WinMo Imagio tethers like an absolute CHAMP..it never drops.  I have a great app for tethering.  I have heard many problems with the T-mobile G1 phone tethering options.

- I am hoping with the popularity of the Doid, someone will come up with a solution.  What do you guys/gals think?

2) My WinMo Imagio syncs flawlessly with my PC laptop.  The tasks, appointments, contacts, calendar, MS exchange push...all amazingly simple.

- Will Android 2.0 OS be able to match this?  I have heard the G1 syncs all this stuff to your Google account, then forwards it to your phone...not cool.

3) WinMo Imagio has the Opera browser which is very intuitive and has come A LONG WAY since the old opera browsers.  I seriously believe it is a little slower than iPhone safari, but makes up for it by being more functional.

- Will Android 2.0 have an amazing browser and be user friendly...I have heard great things about it.

4) Imagio has native MS Office docs.  Perfect for my work!

- Will Android 2.0 force you to use Google docs?  Are there other options?  I know DataViz has Documents to Go.  Not sure about others.

Can someone please take some time to address these 4 concerns!  Thank you.  My number one concerns are the syncing and the tethering.

- Will Android 2.0 force users to use Google Docs

I currently have an Imagio as well and before I got the Imagio, I had the Sprint HTC Hero (which is similiar to the Droid Eris) for two weeks before I switched back to Verizon because Sprint's service blows in my area.

{Keep it Legal}

2) I think since the Imagio is a Windows Mobile phone, its going to be very easy to sync with Microsoft Programs like Outlook and others...I believe the Hero did this as well but I'm not sure.

3) The Android Default Browser was amazing to use and on the Android marketplace, there was another browser called "Steel" that was even better. It seems like my Imagio loaded up pages faster but that was probably because Verizon's 3G/EV-DO Network is much better than Sprint's in my area.

4) There are apps on the android app marketplace that will allow you to handle MS docs but I thought it worked right out of the box on the Hero.

That's all I got...maybe some of the forum genius will come out and help even more.

0 Likes
100RBIs

{Keep it Legal}  I'm almost positive with the marketing this phone is getting, there will surely be some apps to get this synced nice and clean to MS Outlook.  Not too worried.  I looked up some file manager apps, and those already exist - so that's shouldn't be an issue either.

Thanks again HeyItsThatGuy.  I made an excel sheet comparing Imagio and Droid, the Droid won by a slim margin, mainly b/c of its huge upside of app potential and sweet UI. 

One question HeyItsThatGuy...since you too have an Imagio, are you also considering the Droid (or HTC Eris)?  Why or why not?

0 Likes
Re: Info on HTC Droid Eris and Motorola Droid
HeyItsThatGuy
Enthusiast - Level 2

A Chart comparing the Droid/IPhone/Palm Pre...I believe the Android App Market is up to 12,000 now.

Taken From: http://androidandme.com/2009/10/uncategorized/motorola-droid-vs-iphone-3g-s-vs-palm-pre/

0 Likes
Motorola Droid video and hands-on demo
emilynicol2
Enthusiast - Level 3

For those who haven't seen it yet, a hands-on video demo is up for the Motorola Droid (courtesty of Engadget):

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/motorola-droid-first-hands-on/

0 Likes
Re: Motorola Droid video and hands-on demo
emilynicol2
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
nickc50310

So is the Droid going to be released in stores or online on the 6th? 

0 Likes
HeyItsThatGuy
Enthusiast - Level 2

nickc50310 wrote:

All Channels (Verizon Wireless *611, verizonwireless.com, Verizon Wirless Stores, BestBuy) on November 6th.

0 Likes
Mtvmoonman

Does anyone know where you go to view the 10,000 or so apps that the droid is said to have?

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

HeyItsThatGuy wrote:

nickc50310 wrote:

All Channels (Verizon Wireless *611, verizonwireless.com, Verizon Wirless Stores, BestBuy) on November 6th.

My local VzW sent me this information when I asked if they would have the Droid in-store on the 6th.

We are releasing the HTC Droid and Motorola Droid on November 6th and it will be available to all channels.  So, yes we will have it and I hear that we may be opening up at 6am to launch it but I will keep you informed when I find out new information. 

Description of the HTC Droid:

Description

Now operating on the Android platform, the new Droid Eris by HTC combines performance and functionality in one sleek package. Eris offers the HTC Sense UI on a 3.2, touch screen zoom capability, a virtual QWERTY keyboard, and a 3.5mm headset jack in addition to the Virtual Keys (Home, Menu, Back, Search). The ultra-slim Eris can filter your Inbox, and stay connected securely with your office via HTC Sync. Take advantage of WiFi connectivity and its 5MP camera w/auto focus

Descritption of the Motorola Droid:

Its a pint-sized power plant. Its location-aware. Voice-recognizing. App-mashing and multitasking. It can see through walls. And connect you to anyone or anything at break-neck speed. At some point, power and intelligence mean something more than a phone. At some point, you have yourself a DROID by Motorola.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the business plans, and have a wonderful weekend.

Thanks,

That's the first I've heard of the HTC Eris being available on the 6th too, but I haven't read all of the Droid threads so maybe this is old news.

0 Likes