Intermittently, Google Maps location is off and “My Location” not working
jchrisj

Is anyone else out there having this problem? It’s driving me nuts! I use Google Maps quite often.

Recently, I’m having intermittent problems using Google Maps on my Droid. When I’m having the problem and I launch Maps, my location is off by several streets. When driving, it doesn’t seem to track my location in real time. I have both “Use Wireless Networks” and “Use GPS satellites” checked in Settings/Location & security/My Location. If I uncheck “Use Wireless Networks” (force the Droid to use the GPS only) and use Maps/Menu/My Location, I get two messages “Waiting for location” and then “Your current location is temporarily unavailable” a few seconds later.

Usually Maps is VERY accurate. I see my exact location within Maps and it tracks my location in real time. This started happening intermittently a few weeks ago, perhaps with the Google Maps 4.3.0 upgrade or the previous upgrade.

Using Motorola Droid with Firmware version 2.1-update1 and Google Maps ver 4.3.0.

0 Likes
Re: Intermittently, Google Maps location is off and “My Location” not working
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

jchrisj wrote:

Is anyone else out there having this problem? It’s driving me nuts! I use Google Maps quite often.

Recently, I’m having intermittent problems using Google Maps on my Droid. When I’m having the problem and I launch Maps, my location is off by several streets. When driving, it doesn’t seem to track my location in real time. I have both “Use Wireless Networks” and “Use GPS satellites” checked in Settings/Location & security/My Location. If I uncheck “Use Wireless Networks” (force the Droid to use the GPS only) and use Maps/Menu/My Location, I get two messages “Waiting for location” and then “Your current location is temporarily unavailable” a few seconds later.

Usually Maps is VERY accurate. I see my exact location within Maps and it tracks my location in real time. This started happening intermittently a few weeks ago, perhaps with the Google Maps 4.3.0 upgrade or the previous upgrade.

Using Motorola Droid with Firmware version 2.1-update1 and Google Maps ver 4.3.0.

Some people have issues with GPS accuracy, such as showing your location 1000 feet or further away from your actual location, and this can be resolved by following these steps.

1. Download GPS Status from the market (it's free).

2. Make sure your GPS is turned on and open GPS Status.

3. Go to a location where you don't have magnetic devices around you (like electronics of any sort), such as outside (ideal) or room with minimal electronics nearby.

4. Hold your phone in your hand flat. Spin it around 3 times. After that, hold your phone on it's side, spin it around 3 times again. Finally, put your phone right side up (end on end) and spin it 3 more times. You can also do figure 8's, but the spins worked for me.

5. Go to Google Maps and see if your location is closer.