Re: Is 3g Mobile Hotspot free or not?
budone
Legend

Only the Palm Pre and Pixi has free hotspot service. But it is also capped at 2GB before incurring additional charges.

0 Likes
applecalypse

This feature is not free. It's $20/month on top of your $30 unlimited data plan, and you have a 2GB cap on your 3G Hotspot.

I tried connecting it last night, and I was able to access google.com from my iPod; however, any page I tried to visit after that it would redirect me to a website saying to call Verizon to add that feature.

I think it would only be fair that we get at least a 500MB free every month. That's enough to use when you really need to, but not a lot to use as your main connection at home. It's understandable that there has to be  cap, otherwise people will abuse it and in the end, we'll be the ones hurt as a result with higher data prices and lower bandwidth.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i would go for that. give us a real small cap for free so you could use it in a pinch (since the capability is there). but i really don't have a problem with them charging for it. like i said before, if they were to just give it to us, it would have to crush the network right?

0 Likes
john129
Enthusiast - Level 3

The application is free the service is not!  It will cost you $20 per month to use as a moble hot spot or $15 per month if you teether it to you computer via usb.  When you connect to the 3g mobile hot spot the first time the verizon page will come up and offer you a subscription.

0 Likes
popcycle4
Enthusiast - Level 2

i saw it when i was on a nyc bus and tried to use it!!!  

why ask the question if you don't believe the answer:  $20.00

0 Likes
droidallday

I have an HTC Droid Incredible with an upgraded firmware of 2.2.  My question is if the 3g Mobile Hotspot is free for my phone.  I have an unlimited data plan and certainly that should be applied with this service right?   Regards.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

droidallday wrote:

I have an HTC Droid Incredible with an upgraded firmware of 2.2.  My question is if the 3g Mobile Hotspot is free for my phone.  I have an unlimited data plan and certainly that should be applied with this service right?   Regards.

For your phone yes, but for something else attacked whether wirelessly or wired.  If you want to argue semantics like people do.

YOU do have unlimited internet  you can use as much as you want.  Even if there is limits to how it is to be used it's still unlimited data.

I could have sworn Verizon went to court about this and they won, because their data plans are still the same...

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

attached not attacked >.<  sorry

0 Likes
Sam_Velasquez

If you dont like paying extra for using your phone to transmit data from another device, you might want to read what Google and Verizon are trying to get the FCC to agree to.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/09/fcc-delays-net-neutrality-over-google-verizon-proposal/

Basically, the arguement is that they can take the little pieces of internet content that they deem expensive to deliver or highly desired and deliver them at tiered costs or in-house alternatives (sound like a familiar business strategy?).  Their proposal also includes an exception for wireless services from Net Neutrality rules.

I moved my whole company from ATT because the service sucked and the ATT store employees just outright lied to us.  After being with verizon, it feels like the Devil just passed us from his left hand to his right one.

[edited to comply with Terms of Service]

0 Likes
dimap
Contributor - Level 1

I'm sorry, but in my view, charging for either USB Tethering or WiFi Hotspot features is just plain flat-out wrong. Microsoft put Internet Sharing in it's old WinMo OS. Android put USB/WiFi tethring in it's 2.2 upgrade. These were done under an implicit expectation that these features were to be enabled under basic data plan TOS. In Europe and Asia, these features are indeed enabled by most if not all carriers for no additional cost to the customer.

Not so in the US. Carriers do their damndest to either disable, disallow, or upsell these features to milk additional sources of revenue from their customers, along with stingy caps to go along with the upcharges. To me, this is absolutely putrid, and a totally unetical business practice. Imagine if the water company did that. You could use small amounts of water at a low flow rate to wash dishes in the kitchen sink, but if you wanted to run 50 gallons to the bathtub at a higher flow rate to take a bath that would be an extra charge, with a limit of 50 gallons a month.

This needs to stop. Tethering features on smartphones, if available in hardware and usuable through OS interface integration, should be enabled, unlimited (or liberally restricted) and no extra charge. The worst part is, Verizon is inconsistent on what they charge for WiFI Hotspots. On Palm devices, it is free capped @ 5 Meg/month, on others it is $20 for 2 Gig/month, on yet others it is EITHER $15 or $30 for 5 Gig /month. This is ludicrous, and should be prohibited under Net Neutrality Rules.

0 Likes