Lag/Delayed Screen Redraw Returning After OTA Update....Grrrr!
Richs10
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've had the Charge for about 4 months now.  The phone generally ran well on Froyo until about a month ago when I started getting long lags in re-populating the home screen after coming out of the browser and some apps.  At first the problem was intermittent, but it was getting worse.

I did the OTA Gingerbread update last Saturday morning and the lagginess disappeared.  The home screen would re-populate immediately and the overall phone performance was fantastic.  Late Sunday, however, the lag in re-populating the home screen started again.  At this point, it is intermittent and the delay is not as long as it was with Froyo, but since this was a progressive problem with Froyo, I'm afraid it is going to get worse again with Gingerbread.

Has anyone else been experiencing this?

The GB OTA update has been great, except for this issue.  

I hope I'm not on my way to Lag-Hell again!

Rich

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Lag/Delayed Screen Redraw Returning After OTA Update....Grrrr!
Richs10
Enthusiast - Level 3
I'm gonna mark this as solved even though the solution y'all helped me out with really didn't solve the lag problem with the stock tw launcher.

Again, thank for all the help. And Phil, I am gonna check out that V6 Surcharges.

Rich

View solution in original post

0 Likes
xer0
Check your available memory. Sounds like you have a program hanging. I had the same problem on a previous phone. After I cleared out some of the programs that didn't close, it fixed it.
0 Likes
Richs10
Enthusiast - Level 3

Xer0:  Thanks for the suggestion, but my internal phone memory and ram are fine.  Plenty of each.

Is no one else experiencing a delayed home screen coming out of the browser or some apps?

This is a problem that started happening about 2 months after I got the phone (running on Froyo).  The GB update completely resolved the delay, but only for a day or two.  Now its getting worse again.  Its not a crisis (and the phone is running much better after the update) but it is still very annoying to have to wait for the home screen to repopulate.

Thanks,

Rich

0 Likes
curtisdr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Try running a different launcher like GO Launcher to see if that makes any difference.

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3
Yea go launcher and adw ex are nice with ics themes and icons :smileywink:
0 Likes
Richs10
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I will try a different launcher, although I'm generally satisfied with the stock one.

I just don't understand why this problem has appeared on both froyo and gb only after some time has gone by. And from the responses here, it looks like I may be the only one who is experiencing the problem.

Again, thanks for the input!
Rich
0 Likes
curtisdr
Enthusiast - Level 3

The only time I had something similar to what you're describing is when the home screen would re-orient itself due to rotating the screen between horizontal and vertical. I disabled that feature.

0 Likes
phillthedrill
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've had that problem no matter what launcher I use.  The problem got fixed when I learned how to use V6 Supercharger on the phone, now I don't have a lag with anything anymore.  If you can learn how to use V6 supercharger on the phone, you'll be much happier.

0 Likes
Richs10
Enthusiast - Level 3
Ok, I bit the bullit and downloaded Go Launcher ex. Pretty neat! Lag is gone for now.

Now I've got 2 new questions:
- My ram is much lower running the new launcher. I generally have less than 100 mbs free. is this because the old loader is still running in the background?

- I chose Go Launcher as the default to get rid of the question screen everytime I pressed the home key. is there a way to go back to tw if I want to in the future?

Go Launcher is pretty nice. Lots of themes and options! Moat are free too.
0 Likes
Richs10
Enthusiast - Level 3
Sorry for the spelling in the last post. Auto correct is just killing me....
0 Likes