Anyone else have disastrous results? I'm practically back to factory reset, except my SD card appears to be intact, and a few apps remain. Nearly all my downloaded apps are gone, 1/2 my screen setup is a mess, and all my accounts are gone, and the regular "ping" sound is replaced by a sound from the Temple Run game. ?!?
Here's how it happened:
- couple days ago got a popup telling me to get the new update. I was at xxx.15, this is xxx.19. I let it do its thing. It downloaded and said it would reboot. Well it never rebooted.
- I rebooted it. Nothing re. the update. It was like it didn't happen.
- Switched the system date to get the update to download and install again. Same result.
- I've had a full/messed up cache for awhile, and I often clean out memory for Facebook app (huge offender) and browser to clear it down. However I've suspected for awhile that the main system cache also needed clearing. I had to do this to get the big Gingerbread 4.08 update to go through last time. Big hassle, and I couldn't remember the steps. Well, I think I should have done that before attempting this update, but I thought it'd be fine because it's so small.
- reboots started getting harder... it would take a long time during boot up (esp the red eye screen) or it would start freezing in the middle of an app
- I deleted 2 of my largest apps, then rebooted.
- The phone came back up with the SYSTEM UIDs Inconsistent error (many threads on this before).
- I hit "I'm feeling lucky" once, then removed the battery other times. If you do not click this button, you cannot access the phone.
- I went into safe mode. Same thing.
- I went into the recovery menu and wiped the cache.
- I hit the "I'm feeling lucky" again to get into the phone, then applied the update.
- Now at least the phone boots normally, and that error no longer shows up. However, I'm 90% factory rebooted. Major major disappointment and a lot of work ahead to set up my phone again.
No one else had any troubles with the update??
Gah! After replacing some apps I've had on my phone for months, then rebooting to see if all the broken icons would fix themselves now that the apps are back, I'm getting the Inconsistent UIDs error again!
Am I staring a real, final, factory reset in the face or is there any other way out of this?
I really wish I never bothered with the update. 😞
I loved my Incredible.
Chris, it wasn't our intention to give you disastrous results. Software updates are implemented to correct issues on your phone. However, we are aware that the updates also change and affect the existing features on your device, as well. As a result, you may have to adjust many of the settings on your device again. We recommend that you master reset your phone when issues persist since the update can conflict with existing applications that you have downloaded from the Google Play Market. Click http://bit.ly/y5iuoj to retrieve steps on how to hard reset your phone. Keep us posted and feel free to reach out to us for additonal assistance. ^LH
I've already done the factory reset and spent a few days setting up the phone. However, I lost all personal data on my internal drive.
I had the same thing Chris. It erased all my text messages and pictures and now it will randomly restart (not like the 2am restart loop last update). When it restarts, it will work fine for a few minutes if you are active on it, but then it will freeze, either on the home screen if it is on or just a blank screen if it is off. Have to pull the battery 6 to 8 times before it starts to work again. Same as you, I've already tried safe mode and factory reset (which is not a solution by the way).
I am convinced that either Verizon or HTC is pushing out corrupted software updates to force us to get new phones. Every time I call for "Support" they love to tell me how old and outdated my phone is and how I can get a better one for only $800 (in the first year alone). Bottom line is this: I will get a new phone and it will not be with Verizon or HTC because this phone was junk from day one and both HTC and Verizon refuse to own up to the problem, they're content to just blame each other.
You could be describing my problems tonight after I clicked Install for the latest update. This is my THIRD Incredible and the previous two both started to have issues when I got the System Update message - so I was very hesitant and have put it off for days. However, if you don't install it, you get pestered to death with it. Once you click the button to install, the problems begin. The install process begins to count down and then it stops. Nothing happens. The phone doesn't reboot the 3 times and I've never gotten a successful install message. After that, texts don't work, apps won't open, content goes missing, general system slowness, phone freezing, many battery removals, I could go on... I can clearly see that I don't have the right version of software when I look under About Phone. I can't solve this myself though as it doesn't give me the option to manually install the update again because it says I am running the newest version. I've done my homework and I don't have the xxx.19 version, I only have the xxx.15 version. Super frustrated right now and the Tech Support answer above just added to it. A hard reset? Really? That's the only option for a problem created by the new software push? I can't imagine that is going to fix anything on this phone, just as it didn't fix the problems on my previous two Incredibles. What a terrible experience! Two thumbs down!
After the update my phone has been stuck in a crash sequence! Sorry! The process com.android phone has stopped, thenthe htc sense process has stopped over and over. I don't think there is anything I can do. I can't access any other screen and pulling the battery out has not made any difference.