Re: Locaton & Security (My Location) Settings Grayed Out
sgwilson904
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry, Cody, I missed that.  (I KNEW I should have paid more attention in those reading classes! <grin>)   Anyway, cache now cleared but result still the same, all three still grayed out.  Full system reset might fix it but I don't want to lose all the data associated with aps I have loaded. When I lose them in a system reset and then reload them, I'll not have the past archive history that I've previously created in the original download, right?  Suggestions?

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

ugh ...  yea, a Factory Reset is pretty painful ... If you do the process using MENU / SETTINGS / Privacy / Factory Data Reset, you'll have the option to NOT format your SD Card -- which is where you have your personal data stored. (edit: in your case, select "Automatic Restore" - I assume you uninstalled that bad App at this point.)  And if you do this Factory Reset, when prompted, do NOT format your card - or just make sure you copy everything you need from it before starting. Also, if it were me, I would take some screen snapshots from MARKET of which (free) APPS you have installed. In MY experience, MARKET doesn't always remember what you installed so won't automatically download everything again after the Factory reset. of course you will have to set everything back up again when done ...  Another option is to install the free APP called "App List Backup" ...  you run it and select ALL for your App list - it creates a local file on your SD Card called /Applistbackup/apps  .. As long as you don't reformat the card, you just re-download the app (App List Backup) after the Factory Reset, run it again, and click on RESTORE  -- it will supposedly Restore all the Apps in the file ... I have never run the Restore so not sure what to expect..

Good luck ... very strange though that you're having this problem. Wish I had something else to suggest.

0 Likes
sgwilson904
Enthusiast - Level 2

All good ideas and I certainly thank you for the help.  Maybe somebody else has experienced this, too, altho the "bad ap" (Where'sMyDroid) has five stars and nobody reports this problem with their phone.  Strange indeed.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

You're welcome ... I use "LOOKOUT" antivirus which has the MISSING DEVICE ability .. I also have "ANDROID LOST" installed so I can wipe the phone remotely.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

not everybody is having the problem, you're the 1st one i've heard with your problem.

0 Likes
sgwilson904
Enthusiast - Level 2

EUREKA!  At the risk of advertising my own ignorance and/or stupidity, I got just enough help on my fourth or fifth call to Verizon to discover the problem.  In the SETTINGS>LOCATION & SECURITY area where the three GPS service choices have been blacked out since installation of the Where'sMyDroid ap, there is a MESSAGE RESTRICTION LOCK to "set up restriction lock."  Somehow, that was re-set to on or ENABLE RESTRICTION LOCK, probably when Where'sMyDroid was installed.  Among the things it locks (and then grays out) are all selections for GPS location, along with restruictions on in/out calls and messages.  Apparently, this is to protect the owner if the phone is somehow stolen?  In any event, once I entered my Google password, I was able to uncheck the ENABLE RESTRICTION LOCK box and, voila, back came my ability to choose any of the three GPS settings!

Thanks to all who offered help, especially Cody who was very patient!

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Yea !  Glad you were able to get that figured out  - and shared the "fix" with us ...

0 Likes