MDNSD draining battery droid mini
jill2016

My battery usage shows " MDNSD" is using 30 -40% of my battery causing it to run down very quickly. I have seen that in the past this was attributed  to a problem with a drone app or firefox. I have neither of these. How can I get rid of this problem?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MDNSD draining battery droid mini
TIMSCH49
Enthusiast - Level 2
I found something that works for me that might be worth trying. (I have a Note 3, which started having the same battery draining mdnsd issue a few weeks ago. I have been following multiple threads trying to find a resolution and figured out the following solution a week and a half ago that continues to work for me as I wanted to thoroughly test what seemed to be working before posting.)
Before unplugging the phone from the power cord, turn it off and then turn it back on but leave it plugged in for another 5 minutes before removing. (It didn't matter whether I charged the phone to 100% or just 25%.) When I do this, the mdnsd no longer shows in the list of items using up the battery. Better yet, the battery is lasting nearly as long as it used to when the phone was brand new so I've been pleasantly surprised.
I hope this works for you as well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jill2016,

It never fun to have your batter die quickly. Please tell me more specifics about MDNSD. Has your device software been altered? Wehn did you first notice the battery draining (after upgrade, application download, etc)

KatrinaN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
jill2016

I have noticed that my phone gets quite hot and my battery gets used up

quickly (6-7 hrs if no recharge) for about 7-10 days. The phone shows that

the MDNSD is using about 30 to 35 % of my battery and as of 2 pm today has

used 29% and 1 1/2 hr CPU time. I have not added any new apps recently but

they all update automatically and most have done so recently. I read some

about this problem and tried turning off my phone, letting it fully charge

and turning it back on. This worked for 1 day but then the MDNSD appeared

again.

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 5:44 PM, vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

What apps have you installed recently? Can you post a screen shot of the battery screen showing the app usage?

How to Take a Screenshot on Android

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jill2016, we want that device to work properly for you. I've provided a few steps that will improve and extend the battery life below:

Disable or uninstall apps (e.g., live wallpapers, etc.) that are consuming too much battery or RAM or aren't being used.
• Contact the app developer if an app appears to cause excessive battery drain.
• Ensure Power Saver Settings are enabled.
• Adjust brightness settings to lowest setting or use Automatic brightness.
• Turn off GPS when not in use.

For more device support, click http://vz.to/2cLZ5BD

LasinaH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jill2016

I have done, checked all of those things. I haven't installed any new apps

but all have updated recently.

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 3:35 PM, vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
jill2016

I haven't installed any new apps but all have updated recently. I've

attached a screen shot from when the MDNSD is not running and from after it

started. I can get it to go away if I turn off my phone, fully charge it

and then turn it back on but this only solves the problem for a short time

(1 -2 days). Thanks for any help you can give.

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 5:41 PM, bennor3814 <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There isn't an attachment in your post on the forum. You need to sign into your community profile and add the screenshot directly to this discussion thread using the reply editor.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you so much for taking the steps that you have to troubleshoot. Please run the phone in Safe Mode https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-83030/ for a little while to see if this process is still draining the battery. If it is not then it will indicate the process is coming from a 3rd party app and not the Android OS. Once that is determined we can then start ruling out other applications. If it is being generated by the Android OS the next best step would be a factory reset after backing up your data: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-83492/

YaleK_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Phigg1979

This is also happening on a droid Maxx in another post this month and after doing a factory reset and running in safe mode, neither fixes worked. This is obviously a problem that needs to be addressed by Verizon. If they can't fix my phone, this will be the straw that broke the camel's back and I will be forced to find a new carrier and God help me maybe buy an iPhone.

0 Likes