Mini running extremely hot in idle, in use, and charging. Result of latest update or drop?
klcoll
Enthusiast - Level 1

In the past few weeks my phone has started running very hot (90 degF idle, up to 120 degF in use and charging), is slow to charge, and the battery drains faster than it had just a few weeks ago.  App use is the same (I play Ingress a lot) and no new apps have been installed.  The only events that have occurred have been the OTA update and 2 weeks ago a fairly dramatic bike crash that sent my phone skittering across the asphalt.  Damage appears to be only cosmetic (scuffed the corner of the carbon fiber, no screen damage).  Is it possible the crash damaged the battery cell or charging circuit?

The phone is getting hot enough to be very uncomfortable to hold, let alone take a call. Pocketing the device after charging is definitely an eye opening experience.  The heat is also affecting the device responsiveness and screen sensitivity, making app use difficult at times.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mini running extremely hot in idle, in use, and charging. Result of latest update or drop?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out to us, klcoll! We are always concerned if a device becomes extremely hot. When this happens, we ask that you take the phone as well as all charging accessories into the nearest corporate location http://bit.ly/3SdsA in order to have them evaluate the device.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Mini running extremely hot in idle, in use, and charging. Result of latest update or drop?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out to us, klcoll! We are always concerned if a device becomes extremely hot. When this happens, we ask that you take the phone as well as all charging accessories into the nearest corporate location http://bit.ly/3SdsA in order to have them evaluate the device.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
kbilly
Enthusiast - Level 2

i am glad i visited this page.  i will be taking my phone in as well. droid mini getting hot as well when it's not being used.  fully charged this morning, battery dead 4 hours later after using it once.  went from charging once at night, to twice a day now.  got this phone in october 2013.  love the phone, now nervous to use it !!!!  this phone has never seen any drops, moisture or kids hands !!!!!