Motorola DROID - Poor Incoming Audio / Voice Quality
LWOOD

The incoming audio / voice quality of the person I'm calling is consistently very poor. 

• Voice has many artifacts and drop outs. Choppy.  Computer Like (Think War Games)
  • Poor incoming audio / voice  quality is present even with strong signal strength (3 bars+)
  • Poor incoming audio / voice  quality is present at all locations.  I've used my phone in various locations in MI and PA.  Same Issue.
  • Poor incoming audio / voice quality is present on both Bluetooth and Non-Bluetooth Calls
  • Poor incoming audio / voice quality is present with callers from both Mobile Phones and Land Lines
  • Yes - Settings - Hearing Aid function is "OFF"
  • Yes - Settings - Voice Privacy is "OFF"

Is anyone having this problem?  Suggestions? 

I don't see how this is network related.  I switched from an older Motorola phone and had no complaints.

My other phone (Blackberry for Work) is fine.

0 Likes
Re: Motorola DROID - Poor Incoming Audio / Voice Quality
Ardoreal
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'd try a *228 from your phone's dial screen.

Just curious, when you go to your settings->about phone->status what is the number of dBm you are getting?  Should have a minus sign.  I'm guessing you're getting -90 to -110 somewhere in that range with that sort of performance.

A *228 forces the baseband to update it's PRL and reboot.  The baseband processor is your radio, it's like its own computer, self sufficient, has its own firmware, CPU, RAM, etc and it occasionally gets "wedged".  

Unfortunately I've only had this fix work a couple of times....but it's worth a shot.

0 Likes
Packet
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm having similar audio issues myself right now, with a signal strength of -84 dBm.  An attempt with *228 did not improve either signal strength, or audio quality.  (In fact, signal strength got worse, dropping to -87 dBm.  But I think that could be within the range of normal signal fluctuation.)

Afraid I might have to take the Droid back and exchange for another unit.  Annoying, since I already put the Invisible Shield on this one!

0 Likes
adam_losangeles
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've found the voice quality to range from better than average to very good on my unit, especially after I turned off the "Privacy" setting.

Recently, I was using the Droid in my car with the car dock on speakerphone and my friend remarked, "I can hear you clearly".

Sorry if some of you are experiencing problems.

My previous phones are: the Razr, Samsung Alias 2, and the HTC Touch Pro 2.

0 Likes
Packet
Enthusiast - Level 3

Out of curiosity, what signal strength do you show?

0 Likes
LWOOD

There was No Improvement when I went through the *228 process.

At my current location i am ranging between -80 dBm and -85 dBm.

Does anyone know the following on the signal strength indicator?

1 Bar = xx to xx dBm?

2 Bars = xx to xx dBm?

3 Bars = xx to xx dBm?

etc?

I will go out in the next two days and try other locations and let everyone know if I see an impovement. 

If not the phone is going back to Verizon. 

0 Likes
Packet
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm still curious what the people who have no audio problems have for signal strength.

I am, however, probably going to just take my phone back to the Verizon store and try an exchange this weekend.  Makes me sad, because I've been happy with my Droid for the most part, but the audio is unusable.  *228, factory reset... none of it works.  Even with full bars, the audio is warbly like the person is talking underwater, or through a bad voice synthesizer.  Outgoing audio is apparently fine, but incoming is awful.

0 Likes
LWOOD

The following are some tests I did over the weekend:

• Date / Time: 11/29 (Sunday) @ 6 PM
  • General Location: Zip Code 48025
  • Made Calls from various locations to Land Lines and Verizon Mobile

• House (Inside): Signal was - 88 to -90 dBM - Land Line Incoming Audio (Good) / Cell Incoming Audio (Good)
  • House (Outside): Signal was - 85 to -88 dBM - Land Line Incoming Audio (Good) / Cell Incoming Audio (Good)
  • 13 mile / Telegraph: Signal was - 60 to -67 dBM - Land Line Incoming Audio (Good) / Cell Incoming Audio (Good)
  • 13 mile / Lasher: Signal was - 78 to -82 dBM - Land Line Incoming Audio (Good) / Cell Incoming Audio (Good)
  • 13 mile / Evergreen (Tower): Signal was - 55 to -62 dBM - Land Line Incoming Audio (Great) / Cell Incoming Audio (Great)
  • 14 mile / Teelgraph: Signal was - 65 to -68 dBM - Land Line Incoming Audio (Good) / Cell Incoming Audio (Good)
  • 15 mile / Telegraph (Tower): Signal was - 55 to -58 dBM - Land Line Incoming Audio (Great) / Cell Incoming Audio (Great)
  • RESULT: No real audio issue (VERY STRANGE)

So now I'm wondering if it is a Time-of-Day Network Loading Issue or something else.

I will try a 5 PM rush hour time over the next few days.  I will also comment on what Verizon Hardware I am calling.

I would like comments from Verizon, Motorola or Qualcomm (QSC6085 DBB) on this issue. 

Also...  As previously posted...  If anyone is having this issue, please let use know your Signal Strength in dBm.  Not Bars.

To check your Signal Strength go to:  (1) Settings, (2) About Phone, (3) Status, (4) Signal Strength.  It will be the 8th item down in the Status menu.

0 Likes