Motorola Droid Bionic External Speaker Failure?
gstclair

Hi all-

I have a Motorola Droid Bionic running Android 2.3.4.  I got it new less than a year ago, I believe (MyVerizon seems to be down right now so I can't check).

Over the past few weeks, I had been getting complaints about my not responding to texts or answering my phone and when I would check - sure enough - I would have missed calls or texts.

Now, I consistently get zero notification alerts (ringtones, textk notification, etc), no speakerphone, no media sounds (e.g. youtube).   I also get no audio from the RCA plug if I plug in headphones UNLESS I press very hard and move it around but then it's only scratchy and will not remain.

I have no issues with the earpiece speaker.

The phone is not on silent.  I have re-booted.  I have removed the battery.  I have not done a factory reset as I feel that's a last resort.  UPDATE - I just slapped it a bit and it's working again, but not sure how long that will last.  So it feels to me like a hardware issue, but wanted to reach out to the community to see if there were any other thoughts / potential fixes (other than my slapping the phone against my hand....).

Thanks!

Greg

0 Likes
Re: Motorola Droid Bionic External Speaker Failure?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi gstclair,

I understand your concerns regarding the multiple issues outlined in your post. I agree, slapping your phone should not be a troubleshooting step and I recommend bringing it to a store for hands on evaluation if issues reoccur. As for the headphones issue I recommend to carefully looking inside the headphone plug on the phone as any piece of debris (even the smallest piece of lint) will cause audio issues while using headphones.
Also reprogram your phone to improve call/messages performance: Power off, remove SIM card for 30 seconds, reinsert SIM card, and power on.

AntonioC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
noizmakr

I too am having the EXACT same problem. I've only had the phone a couple months now and out of the blue I have no sound whatsoever  unless connected to an external source. It is the same OS. I've tried all the same "fixes" mentioned above,  although I haven't tried the "slap" method yet! I really hope someone has a "working" answer to this problem!

0 Likes
Lattelover54

Hi Antonio,

Well, I did what you suggested and reprogrammed the phone by removing the SIM card and replacing it, and my external speakers still don't work.  What is strange is that the plug-in earbuds work. So,...what do you suggest now?  Just take it back for a hands on eval?

0 Likes
pinto1310

I started having this problem about a week ago the sound would stop working and then come back again. The sound still works through the headphone jack but other then that the speakers completely quit and I tried reprogramming it and that didn't help at all. I only just got this phone from a friend who upgraded giving me this one and adding me to there plan. 😕 This phones also been in an otter box since being purchased and hasn't gotten wet or been throw around.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for proceeding with the recommended steps Lattelover54! Since you are still having the same issue, I would recommend having the device replaced with the manufacturer warranty. We would need to ensure there is no physical or liquid damage in order for us to replace it for you. You can call 800.922.0204 option 3 for the replacement options. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to have a device that has a blown speaker.

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes