Motorola Droid or Eris?
shopaholic426

I have a BB tour and have had so many problems with it. I am on my third one and I'm tired of it. I was thinking of going to Android and can't decide if I want the Droid or the Eris. I need help!!!! 

Thanks!!! :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Re: Motorola Droid or Eris?
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
Eris is what I have. Not as thick as moto, because lack of physical keyboard which I like. I am responding on the eris right now. I love it. Half the price too. Got mine for $50, bit normal upgrade price is $100 half the price of the moto.
0 Likes
Re: Motorola Droid or Eris? Good bluetooth capability?
oolie75

I also have a Blackberry and have been holding out for the past year waiting for Verizon to get the iphone, but heard that is no longer happening, and am going to either get the droid or eris... having a hard time deciding and would like any info anyone can provide to help make a choice... one thing that is really important to me is oregon just passed a law that we can't talk while driving, so i need to get a bluetooth. i read one review from someone that said the bluetooth did not work at all with this phone and consistently ended her calls... does anyone have any info or comments on this subject? i've never had good success with bluetooth anyway, but now it isn't a choice... thank you so much for any tips anyone can provide!:womanvery-happy:

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

Personally I would go with the Motorola Droid because it has a slider keyboard on it. Easier for typing (at least for me it would be!).

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

shopaholic426 wrote:

I have a BB tour and have had so many problems with it. I am on my third one and I'm tired of it. I was thinking of going to Android and can't decide if I want the Droid or the Eris. I need help!!!! 

Thanks!!! :smileyhappy:

My take on the comparison between the Moto Droid (Droid) and the HTC Eris (Eris):

• The Droid is faster, the Eris is not slow, but it does have an inferior processor.
  • The Droid has an external keyboard, the Eris does not.  Not a big deal to some, others need it, some hate it.
  • The Droid is not quite as user friendly out of the box.  With HTC's SenseUI interface, the Eris is easier to navigate from the start and will be less of a learning curve when coming from a different phone.  However, there are many home screen apps that help out with the vanilla interface on the Droid. Customizations are nearly endless.
  • The Droid has a larger and higher resolution screen than the Eris.  Truly an awesome screen.
  • The Droid has Google Maps with Navigation with TBT directions.  Very capable and easy to use, voice activated searches for directions (ie: navigate to Pizza Hut - it will find the nearest Pizza Hut and calculate a route to it).  It's not perfect, but it is still in Beta.  This capability will be added to the Eris with an upcoming update to 2.1 in Q1 2010 some say maybe as soon as the end of this month, others say closer to May or June.
  • For the Droid, there is car dock  which is nice to have for navigation, and general use of the phone while in the car and a mutimedia dock which turns the phone into a makeshift alarm clock, weather station, MP3 player, slideshow viewer, phone charger just by docking the phone.  Obviously both of these docks are at additional cost.  About $30 a piece I think.
  • The Eris is lighter, smaller and, I think to most, more visually appealing than the Droid.
  • The Eris costs a lot less.
  • The Eris has Flash Lite and can play some YouTube videos as well as other Flash content within the browser.  The Droid currently cannot do this, but Adobe is releasing Flash for Android soon and this will no longer be an issue for either handset.  Right now on the Droid you have to use the YouTube app to view the videos and you are out of luck for any other Flash content on webpages.

I have the Droid so I am probably a bit biased.  I invite Eris owners to add to the list.  Also, and I'm not looking to start anything it's just my observation, but it seems to me that there are more questions asked about issues/problems with the Eris than the Droid.  This could be because more people have the Eris than the Droid or maybe due to it's utilitarian appearance and higher specs, more "geeks" get the Droid or many other things.  Then again, I could be totally wrong about there being more posts about the Eris.  I haven't actually counted them.

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

Hey PPC_Dude.... firstly, very nice comparision and I didnt think that was very biased at all! You stated the black and white differences between the two and included what is upcoming with the Eris...kudos!

I have the Eris and I have it because, to me, it looked better and felt better in my hands. I lost half my hairline before buying the Eris as I WANTED the hardware specs of the MotoDroid, but wanted the size and looks of the Eris. I guess the hardware became less important to me because I didnt plan on playing games (much) and the Eris seemed plenty snappy screen wise. I also did a really quick typing test on the Droid and my fingers smuched to many typos on the hardware keys then the touchscreen on the Eris. I think the hardware keyboard for the Droid doesn't autocorrect.. but I may be wrong.

The Eris does have Voice activated Googles Maps for finding Pizza or other places, but not the full turn-by-turn naviagation of the Droid Android 2.0 OS.

The biggest annoyance right now (until the Eris gets 2.x) is the fact that we cant download apps made for any Android OS greater then v1.5 that the Eris currently has loaded... big annoyance! (=

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

kenyu73 wrote:

Hey PPC_Dude.... firstly, very nice comparision and I didnt think that was very biased at all! You stated the black and white differences between the two and included what is upcoming with the Eris...kudos!

I have the Eris and I have it because, to me, it looked better and felt better in my hands. I lost half my hairline before buying the Eris as I WANTED the hardware specs of the MotoDroid, but wanted the size and looks of the Eris. I guess the hardware became less important to me because I didnt plan on playing games (much) and the Eris seemed plenty snappy screen wise. I also did a really quick typing test on the Droid and my fingers smuched to many typos on the hardware keys then the touchscreen on the Eris. I think the hardware keyboard for the Droid doesn't autocorrect.. but I may be wrong.

The Eris does have Voice activated Googles Maps for finding Pizza or other places, but not the full turn-by-turn naviagation of the Droid Android 2.0 OS.

The biggest annoyance right now (until the Eris gets 2.x) is the fact that we cant download apps made for any Android OS greater then v1.5 that the Eris currently has loaded... big annoyance! (=

Thanks kenyu.  I wasn't thinking about the base Google Maps ability when writing about the voice search, just the Nav functions.  Thanks for clearing that up.  The hardware keyboard does have some minimal auto correct ability for common mistakes (ie adn = and), but it's pretty limited.  It also has Show Suggestions and Auto-Complete, but I don't recall ever seeing either one work and I do have them enabled.  Like you, I was turned off by the physical keyboards small flat keys to start with and still only use it mainly for posting to this board and other times when I need to be in landscape mode, but I've gotten pretty used to it now and it's not that bad.   I use the Shapewriter and Swype keyboards for most of my input needs.  I don't think I've used the default soft keyboard since a day or two after I got the phone.

I had actually thought about the apps issues that 1.5 users are having now that 2.0 - 2.0.1 are out, but forgot to include it.  Glad you mentioned it , even though that will hopefully be fixed SOON.

0 Likes
Eris? BIG Mistake !!
javajo

I purchased an Eris in November.  I debated between it and the Moto Droid.  Big mistake buying the Eris !!  I downloaded a ringtone from VerizonWireless site, and wanted to upload it to a contact person.  There is no option to attach a ringtone from the website to a contact person as the manual (only available online) shows step-by-step how to do.  I took it into the local corporate store and even the tech there couldn't attach it to a contact.  He shrugged his shoulders and gave me the phone back saying, "I don't know what to tell you."  That's help !?!  My Eris will not play YouTube videos at all.  Error message says, "Videos can not play on this device."  It's a preloaded app !!  Let's talk cameras...... Eris has the best 5 megapixel camera on the market.  It takes awesome photos...... but don't try sending them in a text.  The tech told me you have to crank down the settings to one of the lowest resolutions, since the phone is incapable of sending a high resolution pic.  Why have it on this phone then ??  OK, let's talk about it as a cellular phone........ a call is coming in and you are supposed touch and slide the lock-screen down to answer.  Only, it won't slide down.  The phone keeps ringing and ringing and I can't answer it.  I have to wait for it to go into a missed call, then go over to my call history, and do a re-dial from there.  The tech at the store said to stop using the touch part of the process and just answer the phone using the button.  I was at the Verizon store 7 times, trying to get these issues resolved.  I am on my 2nd phone (Eris).  I've talked to customer service and tech support and no one is authorized to put me into a different phone.  So I am stuck with this Eris with an awesome camera, but can't send a pic in a text, a ringtone that can't be attached to a contact, YouTube App built in that won't play any videos, and a touchscreen I was told not to use, just hit the button to answer.  The technology on this Eris is just not up to any standards.  HTC pushed this through to the unsuspecting public, way before it was fully capable, and tested.  Stay away from this Droid.  It is not up to Earth's expectations !  My next stop on this journey is to the Better Business Bureau !!

0 Likes
Ndroidnut

Wow, poor javajo,so sorry you're not happy! My wife and I have had our Eris phones for over a month now. No complaints at all, just takes a bit to get used to the technology. Tons of great apps, phone works great once you get it customized to your liking. I too agonized over which way to go, I have an ipod touch so was used to touch screen keyboard, I even like the Eris better than the ipod because of the little vibration when I touch a key. I know people who have the Moto Droid and they love it too, I just figured I would save a little cash and get the Eris - no regrets. There will always be "The Next Coolest Phone" , I say pick one you like and quit watching. I don't think you can go wrong with either Verizon Droid offering.

0 Likes
Re: Eris? BIG Mistake !!
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3

javajo wrote:

I purchased an Eris in November.  I debated between it and the Moto Droid.  Big mistake buying the Eris !!  I downloaded a ringtone from VerizonWireless site, and wanted to upload it to a contact person.  There is no option to attach a ringtone from the website to a contact person as the manual (only available online) shows step-by-step how to do.  I took it into the local corporate store and even the tech there couldn't attach it to a contact.  He shrugged his shoulders and gave me the phone back saying, "I don't know what to tell you."  That's help !?!  My Eris will not play YouTube videos at all.  Error message says, "Videos can not play on this device."  It's a preloaded app !!  Let's talk cameras...... Eris has the best 5 megapixel camera on the market.  It takes awesome photos...... but don't try sending them in a text.  The tech told me you have to crank down the settings to one of the lowest resolutions, since the phone is incapable of sending a high resolution pic.  Why have it on this phone then ??  OK, let's talk about it as a cellular phone........ a call is coming in and you are supposed touch and slide the lock-screen down to answer.  Only, it won't slide down.  The phone keeps ringing and ringing and I can't answer it.  I have to wait for it to go into a missed call, then go over to my call history, and do a re-dial from there.  The tech at the store said to stop using the touch part of the process and just answer the phone using the button.  I was at the Verizon store 7 times, trying to get these issues resolved.  I am on my 2nd phone (Eris).  I've talked to customer service and tech support and no one is authorized to put me into a different phone.  So I am stuck with this Eris with an awesome camera, but can't send a pic in a text, a ringtone that can't be attached to a contact, YouTube App built in that won't play any videos, and a touchscreen I was told not to use, just hit the button to answer.  The technology on this Eris is just not up to any standards.  HTC pushed this through to the unsuspecting public, way before it was fully capable, and tested.  Stay away from this Droid.  It is not up to Earth's expectations !  My next stop on this journey is to the Better Business Bureau !!

I send High res pics all the time. I just checked what you meant. MMS has a size limitation, and full 5MP pics are to large, so yes it downgrades it. I post the original pics to facebook and twitter with no problem. I can email them too, and I think it ask me what quality I want it sent in. Photos are sent via MMS not txt. Txt is for TXT only. I don't understand how people are having trouble with the Eris. It works great for me. I haven't had any lock ups and I install games outside of the market too. I have 83 different apps and it is running great. I installed spare parts today, and it has an option to speed up the screen animations. They get laggy from time to time, when I have a lot going on. Youtube, built in Apps sucks. I use tubedroid and donwload the vidz I want from youtube and then watch it. I agree, that shoudl ahve worked from the get go. The facebook, integration could use a tweak here and there, but not to bad overall. For me at least.
0 Likes