My Droid X2 has recently stopped charging while powered on.
04rockotaco
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a motorola droid X2, and if I plug in the charger while it is powered on, nothing happens, the battery icon does not change to charging icon, and it does not take a charge. I have tried several chargers, both motorola, and aftermarket.

If I power the phone off while plugged in, it immediately goes into charging mode once powered down, and even if I turn it back on and plug it in while booting, it will show that it is charging. If it is already powered off, and i plug it in, it will also show that it is charging, the only time it will not is when it is powered on. It is getting old quick having to power down my phone every time I want to stick it on the charger.

Help me out here guys.

0 Likes
Re: My Droid X2 has recently stopped charging while powered on.
bearone21
Legend

usb or wall charging?  stay away from aftermarket chargers & usb charging.

0 Likes
04rockotaco
Enthusiast - Level 1

Either. Have tried Motorola Chargers from Verizon, aftermarket chargers for this phone, charger for kindle, etc. Same deal with car chargers, and USB cable straight from several PC's.

All have the same issue.  I really dont want to factory reset if I dont have to, especially for a "see if this will fix it" reset. I have no idea if it actually would though.

I checked to make sure I did have the most up to date version, and I do. Have not installed any new apps recently.

I'm tired of having to restart my phone every time I want to plug it up to charge.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

can't you turn it off to charge, that's what i do.

0 Likes
04rockotaco
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can turn it off.

In fact, as I have been saying, I HAVE to turn it off.
I count on my phone for 24/7 emails for my job, I use it as an alarm, and need to be available 24/7.

Therefore I cant leave it off. I have to turn it off, restart it, and plug it up while it is booting for it to charge, then if I unplug it from charger to take a call and walk away from my desk or anything, then Io have to turn it back off and back on to be able to plug it up to charge again.

It is not a question of IF I can turn it off to charge, it's a question of WHY should I have to, and why did it start happening so recently?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi vzw-tempname-fb070cf2-d2bb-4727-aae4-fa06deb0f6fe,

I realize the importance of having an operable device and I am here to help! You mentioned not recently downloading any new applications, when did the problem begin? Before proceeding with a factory reset, I suggest running the device in safe-mode. Here are the steps:http://bit.ly/S5I4MP. Once your device is placed in safe-mode, check to see if your device receives a charge while it is powered on. I hope this information is helpful.

Thanks for your contribution to our community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
04rockotaco
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was hoping a support person might show up. Thanks, I have actually already done the factory reset, but that still did not change the issue. I will try safe mode to see if that has any effect and report back, thanks.

0 Likes
04rockotaco
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have tried safe mode now, and it still will not take a charge running in safe mode.

I did a factory reset (with my phone restoring app data from google servers) and it did not solve the issue.

I then did a factory reset WITHOUT restoring any data other than my contacts - still did not resolve the issue.

It almost seems like a hardware issue at this point, but the hanging point for that is that if I power it off, it charges, or if plugged in while booting, it charges. So the charging port is clearly working fine.

Almost seems to be a basic OS issue, but the odds of that happening at all, let alone on only a single phone are astronomically slim.

Any other ideas?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for trying both the hard reset and safe mode. I would like to take a further look into this issue for you. Please send me (AdamE_VZW) a direct message.

Thank you
AdamE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
04rockotaco
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have sent a couple of personal messages and have gotten no replies.
Unmarked as helpful. It just seemed helpful. Not actually helpful.

0 Likes