My DroidX won't boot... AT ALL, was running REAL SLOW before this happened
madhaus

My X won't boot anymore.  If I give it a battery pull I get the endless red eye, and nothing else.  Called Verizon, they said I can have a replacement NEW (not refurb) phone in.... 2 weeks.  Yup, back to the end of the line for me.  But get this.  I am already on my SECOND X because the first one, the one I got on launch day, had a nonworking camera.  No camera, no video, no barcode scanning, no nothing.  It took 2 weeks for the STORE to get me a replacement (the cust support group said it would take a MONTH).

Symptoms when it was dying: running slow, scroll was jerky, Handcent SMS was taking FOREVER to load.  I thought it was because of a long (700) thread of text messages, but no, it was taking it forever to access the contact list.  I figured that out when I tried to look at them directly.  I started removing apps left and right but it died on me and all I can do now is watch the red eye or pull the battery.  Data connectivity was bizarre, it kept dropping out of Wifi at random, had trouble with 3G as well.  People on Google Talk said I appeared to be logging in and out.  I could never connect to my in-car Autonet (the first DX did fine).

I am NOT happy that there are no new phones for someone like me who has already had TWO defective Xs.  I know how well this thing works when it's working.  I want a DX, I love that phone, but why have I had the rotten luck to have 2 bad ones?

Does anyone from VZN read this stuff?  Anyone else have problems like this with their Droid?  I did a little googling and didn't find much describing my specific issues, either the bad camera or the slow contact loading (leading to no boot).

0 Likes
Re: My DroidX won't boot... AT ALL, was running REAL SLOW before this happened
Rescue814
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you have facebook installed, and it synced with your contacts?

0 Likes
madhaus

Interesting you ask about Facebook.  I had asked it to STOP synching with my contacts the morning it died, I was trying to find out why contacts were loading so slowly, or failing utterly to load.  The very last thing I did before the unit failed to ever boot again was remove the Facebook app.  But yes, FB had synched with my contacts from the get-go.

0 Likes
BakerGeckos
Contributor - Level 3

Did support take you trough a few steps to attempt to clear you memory. You should be able to do this by going into the Bootloader or Recovery modes. I don't think I can give you the steps here but if you search the web I am sure you can find it. Yesterday my Droid Inc went into a boot loop and that was the only way to clear the error and it was doing exactly what yours was doing before I rebooted it to see if that would clear the error. Good Luck

0 Likes
DroidXDude

OMG!  How about my phone is in the EXACT same state as yours ...on the EXACT same day!  It all started yesterday and now this morning I am looking at the red eye hanging on boot up.  About to call VZW tech support now.

0 Likes
DroidXDude

Here are instructions on how to do a Hard Reset here ==> http://search.vzw.com/?do=viewdoc&id=33552

These are instructions for the Motorola DROID X MB810 but works the same for the Droid X.

I just went through this and this is now the 3rd time I have done a Factory Reset.  I have my phone activated and setup ...now I am going to start installing apps from the Android Market and watch it closely today.  At the first sign of performance degradation I will be calling in for a replacement.  Of course I am hoping 3rd time is the charm and I don't have to wait to get a new phone Smiley Happy

0 Likes
DroidXDude

UPDATE!!!!

I have loaded all of my apps back and set exactly as before with a slight change.  I have not reinstalled Lookout ...an antivirus/security app. So far my Droid X has not locked up at all and the only difference is that an antivirus/security program is not installed.  I even have all of my social networking widgets and apps downloaded and installed which I thought were the culprits.

Stay tuned ...giving one more full day of testing and will report back on Saturday.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

DroidXDude wrote:

Here are instructions on how to do a Hard Reset here ==> http://search.vzw.com/?do=viewdoc&id=33552

Thanks, you just saved me the time of searching for this, I was just thinking of looking this up.....

0 Likes
dsxdroider

Sorry about your bad experiences. Googling should reveal plenty of problems with the camera. Several known issues with the camera prompt tech support to offer replacements to users with those issues. Really sorry about the delays and all. You should know that Verizon does not read these forums to collect data about phone performance and defects. You need to document problems with tech support calls. 

0 Likes
DroidXDude

I have all  of my apps loaded and no slowness at all ...THINGS ARE SMOKING!

BUT ...

I have not reinstalled an antivirus/security app.  So, apparently Lookout was the problem.  I really like Lookout too and would love to have it back but I am afraid to reinstall it.  I will just be careful with what I install in the future.

0 Likes