My Incredible - First Impressions. How about yours?
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

Some thoughts and things I've noticed about my Incredible after the first day of use. This is from someone who is just moving a Moto Droid to the Incredible, so some of these may be normal HTC things.

• When using TuneSync for my music, the wifi connection is sketchy. Regardless of what I set the "sleep" properties for, it just seems to time out occasionally. This is annoying
  • My Bluetooth on the phone is wonky. When I'm using it in the car with my Motorola T505 hands free and I have my music streaming to my radio, the sound will cut out for a brief second about every 2 - 4 minutes. Again, annoying. Haven't tried taking a call on it yet, but I hope it doesn't do that during calls.
  • The HTC versions of some of the apps I use are really pretty cool. The Friend Stream is one that I really like. There are a couple others, but I can't recall them right off hand.
  • I've noticed that the signal (both carrier and wifi) seems to be weaker than on my Droid. In fact, to test my observations, I walked around the office and around my house with them side by side and it was consistently weaker. Not sure what that's about, but it really hasn't affected anything that I've noticed. I figure as long as the device still does what I want it too, I don't worry too much about what the signal displays say.
  • Coming from the Droid to the incredible made setup a bit difficult for me. I had a tough time finding what I wanted sometimes when looking through options and I almost smashed the thing when it continued to notify every time I got an email. I get a LOT of emails. I couldn't find out where to turn that off at and it was absolutely driving me nuts. Of course, when I found it, it was in a reasonably logical location, so shame on me, but still... :smileywink:
  • I really love the camera on it. It just took some great pictures yesterday. Amazing in my opinion.
  • I'm not entirely certain where things are saved right now. I read the options in the settings, and I assume that when it says "phone memory" that it means the 8gb of onboard. I hope so. I put a 16gb card in it, so that's where I put my music, but my photos are hopefully going on the 8gb internal. Who knows? I spose if its the 512mb or whatever that the phone will warn me when it's about full.
  • The thing is FAST. It runs live wallpapers and still zooms through Sense UI like it was nothing. That was one of the biggest factors in my decision to switch.

*edit*

• Another thing that bugs me is that when I make a call to my wife, it defaults to the primary number in her contact which is her cell, but when I go to text her it defaults to her work number. Whats up with that? I sent her a couple texts yesterday and wasn't paying attention and then I got a couple messages back from some Alltel service saying it delivered my messages to a landline succesfully via some sort of text to voice service. I'm sure her job loved that...

So there you have it. Things I can think of right off hand this morning. Overall I really like the phone. How about you other folks? What do you think about yours? I've read about a couple things that seem to be common issues in certain clusters, but for those that haven't had any major "I'm returning the phone" type issues, how do you feel about it? Was it worth it? Not worth it? Anyone kicking themselves for making the switch?

Speak up!

0 Likes
Re: My Incredible - First Impressions. How about yours?
mohmandm
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm going from the original EnV to this phone so anything is better.  First I'll go through the likes.  I try to be positive.

-Droid OS (Friend Stream, custom-ability, speed, abundance of apps)

-Camera takes great shots in the right conditons

-Speeeeeeeeeeed

-Screen Clarity

Now for my dislikes

-Battery seems to be going really quickly.  I was warned saying I needed a recharge after 4 hours.  Granted I was using it non stop, messing with GPS, Pandora, etc but that was really quick.  I'm debating on getting the higher capacity battery.

-Notification Alerts.  Is it just me?  I can't get the phone to vibrate when I get an email, text message, voicemail...  I have the phone on vibrate, I put in the settings to have it sent me a notification as well as vibrate.  I just can't figure it out.

-The signal does seem to be low.  It is usually on 1 or 2 bars and I am in a very populated area outside of detroit.  The actually call and data usage doesn't seem sluggish even though it is 1 or 2 though.

- I was taking pics at the rainforest cafe for a friend's child's bday.  It was too dark without flash and too bright with flash...

- For some reason now as I started this message.  My phone keeps moving home screens w/o even touching it.

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

The radio issue may be just a display bug as they're talking about it in AndroidForums.com.

The settings are hidden all over the place with HTC, haha... but mainly, SMS and the email apps both control their own notification setups (ie: vibrate, notification bar, notify light, etc).

If your SMS is defaulting to a landline, it must be because you have that number listed as "MOBILE" in your address book. I had a few like that when I first got my Eris.... correctly setting up your numbers is KEY! :smileywink:

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

kenyu73 wrote:

The radio issue may be just a display bug as they're talking about it in AndroidForums.com.

The settings are hidden all over the place with HTC, haha... but mainly, SMS and the email apps both control their own notification setups (ie: vibrate, notification bar, notify light, etc).

If your SMS is defaulting to a landline, it must be because you have that number listed as "MOBILE" in your address book. I had a few like that when I first got my Eris.... correctly setting up your numbers is KEY! :smileywink:

Settings are definitely all over the place.

Your thought of the work number being listed as mobile got me wondering so I went and checked. No dice. It's listed as work. Bummer...

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

@ y0diggity

How are you starting the text?

If I go into "Compose" and start typing my wifes names, I get all contact references then I select her cell number

If I tap "Phone" then long press here name in my recent calls, I get an option to "Send Text Message", I choose that and it brings up her cell as it should.

I do know if you use "Favoties" you can setup a default action, like call cell or send text. Is this where you're seeing the issue?

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

Yeah, if I reply or something, it goes to the number she texted me from. But if I go to "new message" and start typing her name, it starts to pop up her numbers and I just tap it and go, but the first one it pops up is her work number. I was just thinking that it would be nice if the first one it brought up was the one marked as "primary" in the contact. I mean, it makes sense that it would. Not a major complaint, just an annoying observation.

I tried to add it to favorites, but it won't let me have a favorite for calling and a favorite for texting with the same contact. So since I already have her in there as a favorite to call, I can't add an additional item that would be for messaging.

0 Likes
Livefortherayz

I love the phone, very impressed. Keep in mind that I owned an LG Dare before this and never had a smart phone before.

•  Screens bright, clear, responsive, at times I have had to tap it more than once..but it's rare. Way better than the dare..

*  The phone sounds great, not a lot of distortion or reverberation at high volume

*  This is more of an Android thing, but having all my Facebook, email, and phone contacts linked by person is amazing..

*  The browser is great and the multi touch is intuitive and is wonderful while browsing.

*  The camera takes WONDERFUL pictures for phone. I saw negative reviews online and I just don't see why, no issues here.

*  Having the FM when you have Headphones in (act as antennae), is great, so I don't have to use an app or online stream.

*  Battery does okay in my opinion, considering it's size and how many things I have going on simultaneously.

*  The keyboards are Great. Especially the small vertical one, does pretty well for it being touch and so small.

*  The phone is a little Faster than what I expected, didn't really know what to expect though I guess.

*  Very secure lock feature, my last touch phone Butt dialed people constantly by unlocking in my pocket..

*  I like the capacitive buttons, and their responsiveness, much better than clunky buttons, like the clean lines, phone looks               much better in person than it does in pictures.

*  Have had no problems connecting to any networks, no re-boot issues, pretty much no anything (One in dislikes, minor)

Dislikes:

*  Though the phone does NOT feel cheap in any way, Im scared to death to drop it, or I think it would be lights out.

*  Considering what I said in likes about the battery, I do wish they had battery upgrade options, like larger capacity..

*  Very big disappointment, I can't talk and then txt, web, or use other phone apps simultaneously, once on a call thats all I can         do. My Dare could do that.....

*  Big one for me, I wish I could use the music I ALREADY own,like from my Itunes library or music off of my comp..maybe                there is an app, idk.

*  After letting my battery run down completely, the phone wouldn't charge. But a simple battery removal re-insert fixed.

So obviously, I love the phone and there is more I like and more I haven't even discovered.. Some of my issues are more OS related than phone related too probably.  But android OS and my incredible are just that to me, INCREDIBLE

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

Try an app called "tunesync" for your music. It installs on your phone and your pc. Then you set it up and tell it which playlist to sync from your itunes, and it syncs up over your wifi connection. For mine, I just have a playlist in itunes called "droid" and tunesync checks periodically throughout the day to see whether I'm on my home wifi or not and if I am, it checks for changes in that playlist. If it finds any, it takes the appropriate action. Very nice app and well worth the 3.99 to not have to mess with dragging and dropping or setting up WMP on my pc along with itunes.

You can find it in the marketplace and check out their website at www.highwindsoftware.com

0 Likes
Livefortherayz

Hey, thank you. I have a Mac OS, so thats what I worried about for apps, but I see the mac version is there. Thanks again, big help!

0 Likes
Livefortherayz

Actually, I don't have a wi-fi router, I just use the local Wifi internet connection at my complex..   So, is there a similar app that does the same, but can be done with a mac and a usb cable or by bluetooth or something? I guess it's just the drag and drop you were talking about..

0 Likes