My Son's Droid mini is downloading 8 GB of data each month (our entire plan). We have replaced the phone, talked ad nauseum to Verizon Support (I bet I have explained this problem 12 to 15 times now). Can anyone help?
BuddyLee8341

We have tried everything, these massive downloads are happening in the background when he is at work - where the phone is in the car - and roughly at 12 hour cycles it will download 100 MB to 300 MB files. Verizon can't tell me why or what app is doing it. It is eating up our entire 8 GB Plan!

Please help!

0 Likes
Re: My Son's Droid mini is downloading 8 GB of data each month (our entire plan). We have replaced the phone, talked ad nauseum to Verizon Support (I bet I have explained this problem 12 to 15 times now). Can anyone help?
Not applicable

Obviously he has some app or apps turned on that auto downloads stuff. If the phone is in the car why does he have mobile data even turned on then? He can simply turn mobile data off. Also the phone has a setting where one can EASILY see which apps are using data so the culprit should be easy to find.

Re: My Son's Droid mini is downloading 8 GB of data each month (our entire plan). We have replaced the phone, talked ad nauseum to Verizon Support (I bet I have explained this problem 12 to 15 times now). Can anyone help?
BuddyLee8341

OK it is not his apps, we removed them. Background downloads have also been disabled. Does not matter whether the mobile data is turned off or on. Been down all these roads you mention, and I take issue with your comment that "one can EASILY see which apps are using data so the culprit should be easy to find". If it were easy to find then I would not have 22 hours plus on the phone with Verizon Customer and technical support, have gone through 3 physical phones and now a new phone number - we changed his number for a new account last time. Only problem is that now the problem is WORSE - 3.6 GB in 6 days! You cannot get a report from Verizon as to which websites are downloading data to his phone- the phone only tells you that Google is the main culprit. Yet no one asked for any data to be downloaded!

For three months now his phone has downloaded our entire data plan. It is in his account, as we have tried multiple phones and now changed his line number. The phone downloaded a 70 MB file laying in the front seat of my car with no one touching it while I was driving to the Verizon store! I have the time stamps!

Verizon is stumped, local store no help (all they want to do is change out to a refurbished phone which we have done twice, the last one was a new Droid Ultra instead of a Mini. I am about to remove all the lines (I have 4) and take them somewhere else, this is absolutely ridiculous!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello BuddyLee8341. Sorry to hear about the experiences you have been going through with your son's phone, and data use. You mentioned that you have performed multiple troubleshooting steps with his device. Does the same thing happen if you perform a master reset, and during the set up process choose not to have Google automatically download previously downloaded apps automatically to his phone? This way we can see if this helps keep data usage at a minimum, outside of preinstalled app usage, and web browser usage.

Let us know, BuddyLee8341. Thank you.

-NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes