NOT happy with the updates
Dizi

the phone can no longer be set to not sleep.  lost all e-mail access unless you link to g-mail.  Lost web page links.  Took an hour to upload the update and drained to (double) battery to nothing.  If this is a Google control... I will be out of here and I have been faithful customer for many year.

0 Likes
34 Replies
pjw1981

i did a soft reset the one thats in the forums for clearing the cache from the phone.  It did help alot but it still alittle lagish at times.  Other then it had been working great since the phone cache being cleared out maybe it was install too.  But it still has minor bugs in it.  One the boot time is still alittle long at times not all the times but it did speed up alittle.  As for the overall since the clearing the cache it is alittle slow with the data connection on wifi.  Like I said before yes i am upset that my phone is not working right but the soft reset fixed most of the issues so far only time well tell if it is completely working right.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I do think that over time (the next week or so) you will see those issues dissipate and go away. The connection process will get better, the lagging when opening apps will get better, Boot up will get a little better (you can also help this by disabling some of the apps you dont use).

The Android Operating system is almost semi intelligent as it learns some pattern of what you do on your phone. If you do not use an app, it will shut it off. If you use apps all the time and the first thing you do on boot up is start the app, eventually it will keep it started for you to use (running in background).

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Jakeman1 wrote:

The Android Operating system is almost semi intelligent as it learns some pattern of what you do on your phone

That's why my phone's nickname is "Skynet" 

0 Likes
pjw1981

it not the thing about not wanting the ics for the phone.  But on the droid bonic there are issues with the updates.  Most likely a rush to get out as part of the mass request for it.  On the other hand my phone should not take 10 secs longer then normal load time to boot a ios system on a phone.  Two when you open a menu it keeps saying wait or hit ok.  There are issues with it.  Maybe they were overlooked during the programming the phone.  Yes the layout is nice and ease of access when the phone works right or loads properly.  But overall performance on the phone sucks.  It is slow takes about 30 sec to a 1 minute longer then the old system.  Texting on the phone is alot slower.  It does take about 3secs or 10 secs longer to send a text.  But i am sorry overall performance i am displeased.  Unless motorala release a fix to the ics it will be a long time before the bonic is up to par compared to the newer phones.  And it is truely sad that the bonic was the last phone to get the ics.  Which unforntally in turned the performance on it was cut in half.  Personally I work on computers and I even build computers but i am sorry i am and well displeased til a security fix for the bonic is released.  The system is buggie as three dollar frieght train.  I would suggested that it needs to addressed before customers like me and amoung others switch service.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

The only issues I had on the Bionic was right after installing it and while it was optimizing the phone. Since the Optimization is complete (can take up to 72 hours) the phone has worked flawlessly. It is more responsive, faster, easier to navigate and an overall better experience.

If you have had this on your phone for a couple of days and are still having the issues I would recommend a Phone Cache Wipe (it will not touch any of your apps or data). The Cache wipe will clear out all of the old remnants of code, and stuff.

Adopt_A_Dog

Can performing the system cache wipe too soon after the ICS cause issues, or can one run that basically after the ICS update is done?  In other words, does one need to wait 72 hours before doing a system cache wipe? TIA.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Doing the system Cache Wipe too early wouldn't have caused the problems, but it may not have been effective in resolving the issue completely as the phone was still trying to find itself (syncing and learning what and how you use it) At the very least the Cache wipe cleared all of the old GB leftovers out of the phone which is always a plus.

Happy to hear you got it working.

0 Likes
jaymadd
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have to agree with tikibar1. I've had 1 issue with ics and it's really just a minor thing that ics doesn't do that GB did. I've had no problems with texts, email, lag etc. If you are still experiencing problems maybe there was an error that occurred during the install (happens with the best of programs). Take your phone to your nearest Verizon Wireless that offers a technician and have them work on your phone. They should be able to get you up and running properly.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

While some are reporting issues, others are not.  I, for one, have had no issues whatsover, no lags, etc.  As noted above, have you tried doing a soft reset and/or clearing the phone cache?

0 Likes
Not applicable

First you complain about NOT having ICS now that you have it you're still not happy.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Where did the OP say that they were complaining about not having ICS?  Best I can tell, they've made two posts total on this forum, both in this thread, and neither indicated that they were complaining about not having ICS.

0 Likes
Not applicable

tikibar1 wrote:

Where did the OP say that they were complaining about not having ICS?  Best I can tell, they've made two posts total on this forum, both in this thread, and neither indicated that they were complaining about not having ICS.

Not the OP Bionic owners in general. I meant the YOU in general terms not a specific person.Go back and read the pre-ICS threads.

0 Likes
klondike22

I have similar problems with email.  I have an Earthlink (POP) account that has worked fine since I bought the Bionic in June. Now suddenly all mails Sent from Bionic have disappeared. Additionally, all the contact/addresses I have used (over 200 of them) have also disappeared. Which means the Display Suggested Address brings up zilch.  In fact, even though I have that feature turned ON, and I have sent out a few new emails, those few addresses I hand-entered still do not show up when I try to send another email to that same person.

To be clear, this has not screwed up my actual Earthlink webmail -- the contacts are still there, accessible from my computer. And as far as I can tell no emails have been deleted off of Webmail -- though they might have been if I hadn't just accessed the Earthlink account on my computer before downloading this Android update on my phone, since it seems the DEFAULT option is to delete from server as I delete from phone. All in all very thoughtless engineering.

As for the other changes in the update such as the double-touches now needed in various places, etc., I suppose one gets used to anything. But am I supposed to enter 200 addresses by hand now, and what would be the point if the Display Suggested Address feature doesn't work?

I have spent a good deal of time going through the new menus, a bunch of time on the Verizon/Bionic site and discussions. I don't see any solutions, or in fact any acknowledgement of the problem.  The only solution seems to be to switch my email to a google account, which is not my preference.  I did start a google account just to get the darn phone working (back in June), but I have never used it for emails. Yes, it's smoother than Earthlink, has better search capabilities, etc., but in a dozen years I have never been hacked or gotten a virus through earthlink, either on PC's or my new MAC. Call me superstitious, but on the other hand, at least once every 2 or 3 weeks I get spam (hopefully nothing worse) from friends whose gmail accounts have been hacked, some of whom are a lot more computer savvy than I am..

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

klondike22 wrote:

if the Display Suggested Address feature doesn't work?   this feature does work, at least on my phone; you've verified that you have it on? 

email > click on gear in lower right-hand corner > choose your e-mail account > ensure that "Display suggested addresses' is checked

The only solution seems to be to switch my email to a google account, which is not my preference.  you do not have to use gmail for your e-mail if you don't want to

Your contacts are all still on your phone aren't they (only now under People)?

0 Likes
klondike22

DISPLAY SUGGESTED is on. When I now enter an email adress by hand into my Phone Contacts (PEOPLE), this feature will work when I start to address an email. But having switched to a smart phone in June, I never had need to enter emails into all my phone contacts.

Yes, my phone contacts are still there (under PEOPLE), but the email addresses did not get transferred to that list. Is there some way to transfer a file from earthlink to the Bionic? Something like what I had to do with a .PST file for Outlook when I switched from PC to MAC?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

klondike22 wrote:

Yes, my phone contacts are still there (under PEOPLE), but the email addresses did not get transferred to that list. Is there some way to transfer a file from earthlink to the Bionic? Something like what I had to do with a .PST file for Outlook when I switched from PC to MAC?

I'm working on just such a thing in the other thread ... give me about 10 minutes to finish my post.

0 Likes
pjw1981

I agree ever since my update to ics it sucks.  My phone is slow like super slow.  Sending and recieving txts are like being on dailup.  I was so pissed when all the other phone got the update.  This is the second bonic that i had to replace because of a tethering issue and or no responsive.  I am not returning the phone at all i will pay the early termation fee and say hell with verizon at this point.  I am suck of having issues with phones.  Either they will do two things one send me a newwwwwww phone not a refurbised phone or two give me a choice on a another phone of equal value or give me the two upgrade to the iphone 5s i would rather have an apple product now then a pos phone that is slow then 2003 apple with mac os 10.4.11.  I would rather throw the phone back at them and say keep the dam thing.  I am not happy with the update i am not happy with the slowness of the phone, it starts typing in stuff during texts, and it just all pos. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am so sorry to hear that you were not liking the updates to the Bionic, Dizi. There were many improvements that came along with it, so I am a bit shocked to hear that you were not liking it. You pointed out not being about to set the phone to "not sleep." What did you mean by this? Was this about the screen never timing out? Also, could you elaborate more about your other concerns? Having Android be Google based, many of the functions do require a Google account. And also the update was quite large and it is normal that the battery drained a lot when it went through. We don't want to loose you so please let us know how we can help further!

Thanks!
MichelleG_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Dkim1

What upset the most about the update is that i went from having long battery life to having no battery life....The bionic had a really great battery saver and now its gone....i used to be able to charge my phone in the morning for an hour and would have a full battery and would not have to charge until the next morning without having to cut off my data.....now im charging twice a day, having to cut of my data to conserve battery. i would like to go BACK to the old operating system where i would not battery life issues....

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I had terrible battery life for the first 4 or 5 days of the ICS install on my phone.  Part of this is all the extra playing I did on my phone trying to find things and how things worked. But it also takes the OS time to learn what needs to be on and what does not need to be on.

Disable the apps you do NOT use. I also disable Smart Actions as it used 4-6% of my battery life. When I disabled it, SA used nothing.

B33 has a Battery Guide that will also help.

Even if you do nothing after 5-7 days the battery will pick back up again (after the phone optimizes itself, and learns what should be on or off etc...

0 Likes