Need help with HTC Incredible email issue
Beatcal

Hi, everyone. Got my Incredible today. I'm not having any luck receiving email on the phone when I try to: (a) use the HTC mail application (as opposed to the Google mail application, which I've never liked); and (b) set up my email as an IMAP account. In other words, I can receive email when I use the Google application, or when I use the HTC mail application and configure my account as POP--but what I want is to use the HTC mail app and configure my account as IMAP.

I use gmail, so I didn't figure his would be an issue. But Verizon couldn't help, HTC couldn't help, and Google online doesn't have any information on this (yet) either.

If you're successfully receiving email on the HTC mail application, and you've got your account set up as IMAP, I'd love to hear from you--if only to see what account settings you used.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Need help with HTC Incredible email issue
budone
Legend

I am having no luck either. :smileymad:

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I finally got it to work, however I believe the settings will be provider specific.  I found my settings at m.charter.com

0 Likes
Beatcal

I used the setting provided by Google for Android. They just don't seem to work with the Incredible. I've never had any problems using gmail as an IMAP account within Outlook, but I'm not having any luck setting it up my gmail as IMAP on the Incredible's mail application.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Let me try setting up my never used Gmail acct on mine.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Did you make the changes at Gmail.com also??

Enabling IMAP

You can retrieve your Gmail messages with a client or device that supports IMAP, like Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail.

To enable IMAP in Gmail:

1. Sign in to Gmail.
  2. Click Settings at the top of any Gmail page.
  3. Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.  Dont enter a forwarding address.
  4. Select Enable IMAP.
  5. Configure your IMAP client and click Save Changes.

Once I did that, I set up my phone doing the following.

1. On your phone, press < Home >, then open the Email application.
  2. On the 'Your accounts' page, select Next to get started with setup.
  3. Enter your full Gmail address and password, then select Next.
  4. On the next screen, you can give the account a nickname and choose the name to display on your outgoing messages. Tap Done.

And you're done. You can verify your settings from the Inbox view by tapping < Menu > > Account settings.

Incoming settings
IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
Port: 993
Security type: SSL (always)

Outgoing settings
SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465
Security type: SSL (always)

0 Likes
Beatcal

I already had gmail set up for IMAP because I receive my gmail through Outlook, and I have it configured as an IMAP account. The client settings that you included in your post, too, are the same ones I used on the Incredible--but to no avail.

Using those settings, are you able to receive gmail through the mail application (not the gmail mobile application, but the generic HTC mail application), with your gmail account set up as IMAP?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Yep, I set the address in the HTC mail program. I immediately received what was in the Gmail box from years ago. I sent an email to Gmail and it showed up on the phone.

0 Likes
Beatcal

Hmmm...then I'm not sure what's going on. I've already deleted the account a few times and tried to set it up again. Even went back to the factory defaults and started from scratch. And through all of that, I've never gotten a single gmail message in my inbox on the mail application. I appreciate you taking the time, though, to show that it CAN be done.

0 Likes