New SD Card
timboah

Likely a dumb question, but here goes - I've been testing the DINC out for a couple of weeks now, side by side with the Droid X.  The DINC won.  I have downloaded a bunch of apps, and started using those apps.  Many of those apps use the SD card to store configuration data and content added by me through use of the app.  All of this is going on the 2GB card shipped with the phone.  I just ordered a 16GB card that should arrive shortly.

So here's my question - how do I migrate all of that data to the new card without hosing my apps?  I don't have a microsd card reader - my initial thought was to format the card and copy and past the directory structure and data onto the new card, pop it in the phone and go.

Any solutions for this?  What will happen to my apps and their data that leverage the SD card when I remove the stock one and put the new one in?

I apologize if I haven't done my due diligence searching the support site or this board.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: New SD Card
budone
Legend

Could you transfer the info to your PC, then transfer the info back to the 15GB card?

0 Likes
timboah

I could, but I'm concerned about how the apps might react on boot.

I assume the process would go something like this:

- copy contents of current SD card to a directory on my mac

- turn off the phone, remove the battery

- remove the existing SD card, replace with a new one

- replace the battery, boot the phone

- connect the phone to the mac via usb mass storage option

- copy contents of directory to new card

Seems pretty straightforward to me, but will the apps panic or otherwise misbehave when the phone boots and they don't see the data on the new card before I can copy it?

0 Likes
VZHawaii

I am new to andriod so I don't know how the apps will behave.  I think it depends on which ones are running on boot.  You could try booting the phone with the memory card out of the phone and see how the apps behave.  Sort of the same as an empty card.

My bet would be that it will work fine the way you suggest because memory cards by their very nature are removable so developers are supposed to check for them and deal with it when they are offline.   Of course not all apps are well written so it really depends on the apps you have installed.

Why not get yourself a microsd reader?  You can get one for less than $10 at amazon.  I have one to make it easier to back up my memory card on my phone to my PC and so I can add music, photos etc to my phone without having to connect the phone to the PC.  I can just manage the memory card directly.  Seems it would come in handy for an android phone as well.

BTW:  Why did the DINC win over DX ?  I selected the DINC which arrives today because the DX although beautiful is just too large for my taste.  It sounded better in the store and looked amazing but the size was a show stopper for me.

0 Likes
timboah

I suppose I will try the method I described and see what happens - right now, I don't have a tremendous amount of app data on the phone or the card.

The DINC won for the following reasons:

- Smaller size - I did end up buying the Seidio 3500 mah batter because the stock one sucked so bad, but even with that heft it's better than the X

- The screen resolution is about the same to my eye, or maybe a tad better on the DINC than the X

- The gps radio seems stronger on the DINC - quicker to locate, more precise

- I like the Sense UI MUCH better than the crap Motorola loads up on the X.  I also tried all of the launcher apps out there on the X, and none of them really got me the subjective satisfaction of Sense

- processor on the DINC seems just as fast as the X - I know there was a lot of talk about snapdragon vs TI and other specs meaning that the X at 1 Ghz was faster than the DINC at 1 Ghz, but I honestly don't see a difference

- I'm not real fond of either manufacturer's implementation of favorite contacts - so I tried to default to the stock android shortcuts for direct dial and direct message - but I couldn't find direct message on the X shortcut list - that was annoying

- last thing - and this sounds pretty silly, but maybe I'm just a silly guy - I travel a LOT, and the HTC widget that has the two analog clocks side by side showing time at home and time where I am is just pretty awesome.  I know, a little thing, and maybe with more research I could have found something similar for the X

I will say two things - TCO on the DINC is much higher than the X - the included 16gb card and a sustainable stock battery life would have saved me about $150 over the accessories I had to buy for the DINC

0 Likes