New SD card is slow!
DROIDXNEWBIE
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just upgraded from a 2gb SD card to a LEXAR 16gb class 10.  I transferred all my contents from my old card to the new one on my PC, put the new card in my phone and it lags REALLY bad!  My gallery takes FOREVER to open, if it opens at all.  When I open my gallery, sometimes the screen is completely empty and it just locks up.  Looks like I transferred everything right, but what's going on here?!?!  Ugh...technology!

0 Likes
Re: New SD card is slow!
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Just a thought - the 1st time you open your Gallery, the entire contents of the card has to be searched and the thumbnails and other details of your pics gathered. How many pics do you have on the card? I assume you're using the stock Gallery APP ?

DROIDXNEWBIE
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have about 300 pics and about 10 videos (each less than 1 min.).  I did another restart (3rd time's a charm?) with my phone and it seems to be working a little faster now.  Yes, I'm using the stock gallery.  I've tried others and they don't work as easily. Do you have some suggestions for free apps that are excellent?  I'm not a fan of how difficult it is to create folders (using my PC, unable to do it w/phone alone).  All input is appreciated!  I just like doing stuff simple and easy!

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

I installed Gallery 3D when it was free ..  I think they charge for it now.  I know what you mean though, I have to create Folders using my PC when I have my phone connected via USB or WiFi.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

i did the drag/drop from the pc to the card for individual pics & entire folders to the tune of about 1000 pics a year ago & everything's still intact & opens nearly instantaneously with the original 16g card & i bet it's not a grade 10.

& i'm too lazy to remove the batt to check.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

@Droidxnewbie  -  did you get it to settle down?  There is something else to try that probably will fix it. Let us know.

0 Likes
DROIDXNEWBIE
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yep, the card seems fine now!  Thanks for all the input.  One problem, one of my new pics I've taken since the card has been in will not open...it shows the thumbnail in the gallery of the correct pic, but when I try to open it, it gives the generic image (like "image not avail") and I can't delete it (the delete option is gray-ed out on my list).  Otherwise, speed is excellent.

0 Likes
DROIDXNEWBIE
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I jinxed myself.  The card has been working fine since my original post, now 10 minutes after I posted the previous post saying how well it's working, it developed an attitude again!  I took a few pic in a row, tried to send one via text and got an error saying there was nothing attached to the text.  I went into my gallery and ALL my folders were blank again!  So, I did a restart on my phone, and everything is working fine again...except all the pics I just took before I shut it down were gone, except one which wasn't available, but this time it allowed me to delete it.  And the problem pic from my last post that I couldn't delete is gone!  Lexar is a good brand, right?  And the card is brand-spanking new.  Better not be my phone!  Yikes! 

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

If it were me, I would just clear data under menu / Settings / Applications / Running / MEDIA  -- and give it a fresh start. Note: this does NOT delete any of your pictures, but rather it resets the folders & pic info on the very first launch of your Gallery APP. This can take a while on the first launch, so you need to be patient if you have a lot of images. Also, you might want to try a 3rd Party APP like Gallery 3D (or HD).

PS - Gallery & images have seemed to be occasionally problematic under Gingerbread. I have experienced it myself on some pics & videos - they usually they get "fixed" after a reboot or something... not sure WHY, but it is definitely buggy from time to time.

0 Likes
DROIDXNEWBIE
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yep, still acting up 😞  Last night I took a few pics that didn't even save.

I am attempting to do the data clearing like you suggested, but I think my menu is different.  I go under menu/settings/apps, then I have choices:  manage apps or running services.  Which do I choose?  If I choose either, I have more choices (same for either option) - my 4 tabs at the top are Downloaded, All, On SD Card, or Running.  Under On SD Card and Running, I have nothing that resembles Media.  Under All, I have Media audio effects - 4.00 KB (what's this app for anyway?), Media Share - 4.00KB (I don't believe I use this at all), Media Storage - 1.01MB, and MediaSync - 1.09 MB (what's this?).  I tried Media Storage and Clear Data, but didn't do it yet cuz (even though you said it won't delete my pics) the warning says "All of this app's data will be deleted permanently.  This includes all files, settings, accts, databases and so on."  so I'm a little hesitant!

I'm trying a couple gallery apps to see if this helps as well.

I'm really sorry for the confusion and completely appreciate all your help!

0 Likes