New to Smartphones...a couple of questions about charges!!!
tana_2002

I am new to smartphones.  I have a Droid X and am on the Share Everything plan.  When I have the Wi-Fi connection turned on, am I charged extra for this, or does it take up part of my data plan amount?  Or is it included in the cost of the plan?  I just want to be sure there are not going to be any additional "hidden" charges/surprises when I get my bill--it's high enough as it is!!!!!!  TYIA!

0 Likes
Re: New to Smartphones...a couple of questions about charges!!!
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

by wifi do you mean allowing other things to access your internet?

or are you accessing the internet from a wireless router on the phone?

0 Likes
tana_2002

I'm accessing the internet on my phone from a wireless router

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Using Wi-Fi on your device is something you are NOT charged for.  It does NOT use your minutes or your Data. The only time you would be charged for anything Wi-Fi (and you do not need to worry about this) is if you have an older plan and are using your device as a Mobil hotspot where other devices connect to your phone for Internet access or making your phone the Wi-Fi onramp for them. In that case you would be charged for the Mobil Hotspot as well as possibly some data going through the Mobil Hotspot.

0 Likes
tana_2002

Thank you!

My phone also has a 3G Mobile Hotspot icon on it--would I be charged for using this one?  It's kinda confusing because there's a place where I can turn the Wi-Fi on or off (I only turn it on when I want to access the Internet or download an app) and then there's this hotspot icon in the apps section.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Mobile hotspot is included at no additional charge on Share Everything plans.  Any usage just subtracts from you pooled data allowance.

0 Likes
tana_2002

Thank you all for your help!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Congratulations on your new smartphone, tana_2002!
Since you are new to smartphones, I'm sure you will benefit from our free workshop that we offer. http://bit.ly/oc2kd5

Jakeman1 is absolutely correct. When you use WiFi, you are not billed for any data.

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

there's also data usage apps in the google play store and verizon has their own data usage app. you can also monitor data through your "my verizon" account online. i would do this for a couple of months until you get a feel for how much data you are using.

0 Likes