No car charger powerful enough for the Incredible?
chris98891

Hello all, I was wondering if anybody has found a car charger that was powerful enough to keep the Incredible charged while running multiple powerful apps. I've tried (against every bone in my body) buying the Verizon ROCKDUALVPC, the dual microSD charger, for the ungodly price of $30 (apparently online prices don't price match to store prices, according to the phone reps). Well, not a single rep knows the power output of this charger, and I've discovered, just like the cheaper charger I had tried before, that it can not keep the Inc charged.

On the road, I run DailyRoads Voyager, an in car DVR app, Trapster, Scanner radio, and occasionally navigation. With just trapster and dailyroads voyager running, my phone will still die with the charger plugged in, and it takes me charging the phone for 10-20 minutes with the charger before it will turn back on.

So does anybody know what power charger we should use to get one that can actually CHARGE the phone? I'm tired of Verizon's runaround. Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: No car charger powerful enough for the Incredible?
jslynch

I received the MICUSBVPC as part of an accesory package with my phone and it's been working perfectly.

0 Likes
Obiareus
Enthusiast - Level 3

buy a power inverter and use your home charger. might work and you can get a pretty good Black and Decker one from Wal-mart for $20 and it powers my laptop .. just a thought

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
You could ask Doc if you can plug into the plutonium source for the fluxcapacitor. Although, you might not get the 1.21 jiggawatts if you use that much power for your phone. Just having fun with ya. Anyways won't the power sources for home/car/usb all be the same? maybe I'm missing something? Maybe ditch trapster? I find its theory great, but not that accurate. Besides any of these gps apps will drain a battery faster driving than sitting. multiple apps running on top of gps is really a resource hog. The power source thing makes me curious though. let us know what you find out.
0 Likes
chris98891

I actually report things to Trapster more than anything, but if it saves me once, I'll be happy.

As far as using an inverter, I have one, but I just don't think I should have to do that to charge my phone. Not to mention, running long enough, that inverter gets hot, and ours is pretty big.

I couldn't find just a standard microUSB charger for the life of me at Verizon, but I'll check that out. Thanks for the help so far, and keep the ideas coming!

0 Likes
Obiareus
Enthusiast - Level 3

dabubbakin wrote:
You could ask Doc if you can plug into the plutonium source for the fluxcapacitor. Although, you might not get the 1.21 jiggawatts if you use that much power for your phone. Just having fun with ya.

i lol'd

Anyways won't the power sources for home/car/usb all be the same? maybe I'm missing something?

the power from Aux jack in a car is not constant like you would think.. there are fluxuations in it. With a inverter it is always the same power cause it runs with a capasitor in the converter. IE you get  amore constant power from a Inverter than from a Charger that just plugs stright into the car jack.  and on the note of getting too hot. The one that i was talking about from wal-mart has a build in fan and does not get hot and it is small i will try to link it here but if can't find it i will at least take a pic of it with my phone and post it.

Maybe ditch trapster? I find its theory great, but not that accurate. Besides any of these gps apps will drain a battery faster driving than sitting. multiple apps running on top of gps is really a resource hog. The power source thing makes me curious though. let us know what you find out.

i agree with the GPS draining the battery because my Storm did the same thing. but i know nothing about trapster as i am still waiting on my phone to ship.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/DP-Audio-Video-Car-Power-Inverter/14123066 the inverter i am talking about looks like this but it is Black and Decker Orange

Ordered: 24JUN
Est Ship Date : 22JUL

0 Likes
chris98891

Haha that one looks a little more convenient, but unfortunately ours is more akin to this model:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberPower-CPS1000AI-DC-to-AC-Mobile-Power-Inverter-1000W/13214112

to give you an idea, we used to run a TV and PS2 with it. I'm just disappointed there isn't a solution from Verizon, and they don't know the power of their own products. With all the other gadgets, I don't have room for another box/more wires running around.

0 Likes
mjbiren
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

mine works just fine? standard micro usb from my old env?

0 Likes
paisley623
I also use the one I had from my dare with no issue.
0 Likes