No longer possible to fully shut down Background data?
88annoyed88

So I'm kind of annoyed with the new Jelly Bean OS. I liked it at first then I discovered that I can't figure out how to shut off my background data, even when I'm on WiFi. I really would like to be able to play around on WiFi without getting charged for it! I have never went over on my data usage because I'm normally just connected to WiFi, but now I've already consumed 90% of my data for the month and I've still got two weeks on my bill. Is this just how things are going to be now? Another way to get my money stolen?

If anyone knows how to shut of the background data on a Droid Bionic on the JELLY BEAN OS please let me know.

0 Likes
Re: No longer possible to fully shut down Background data?
Not applicable

When did the Bionic get Jelly Bean? You mean Ice Cream Sandwich?

Anyways MENU - SETTINGS - DATA USAGE - MENU - check RESTRICT BACKGROUND DATA

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You'll also then have a notification in the notification bar saying 'background data restricted'; it'll stay there until you turn background data back on.

And while we're supposed to get Jelly Bean by the end of the year (I'll believe it when I see it), that hasn't happened yet.

0 Likes
88annoyed88

Its not Jelly Bean? ok well whatever, my phone just updated last week and I would assume it updated to the newest possible?

Is this seriously the only thing you can do to limit background data? because I have this selected but my WiFi indicator still shows up as blue not grey. 😕

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

and if you'll notice, your battery indicator is now blue instead of gray, as is your clock 

0 Likes
northdrummer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can't stand the clock in blue! Hard as hell to see clearly in the car dockstation! I use it in a semi truck and the clock should stand out in white just like call list names do. Cool colors-not!

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

yeah, some of this ICS stuff is hard to read ... maybe a clock app from the Play Store would work better for you?

0 Likes
northdrummer
Enthusiast - Level 2

That would be a fix for something that was good enough before. Hate to use space on my home screens for a clock. In white was just fine and only used the small upper corner. Other things come to mind too. In the phone icon, used to have your contacts right there. Now only recent and favorites. Bad upgrade there too. My alarm clock froze this morning too. Never had a problem with that in the dock in "bedside mode". Good thing my wife was up and caught it!  Yes, it was set properly. The bedside clock was stuck at 4:10 am on the screen and it was 5am already.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the most part I like the ICS update, but you're right ... there's a few things that weren't an improvement, in my opinion

0 Likes