On my Droid X2, why is the SDcard not utilized more ?
LtRav3nw00d

I had the included 8GB microSD in the X2.  I purchased a Class 10 32GB microSDHC ( KomputerBay )

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OYLN9U

41Z1gKSrz8L._AA300_[1].jpg

It works fine, but I don't see anything that will take advantage of it. Other than manually copying non-application

files to it .i.e. music or pictures.

Is it a Verizon or Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread problem ?

99% of the apps will only use sdcard which is mapped to a partition in

internal memory ( /mnt/sdcard ). The microSD card is mapped to sdcard-ext ( /mnt/sdcard-ext )

revealed by app SystemPanelLite.

0 Likes
Re: On my Droid X2, why is the SDcard not utilized more ?
Wildman
Legend

I am not understanding what you are asking, personal data for apps, data downloaded from web and any information that isn't part of the stock installation will store on the card, also any music or videos you add will be stored there so I don't understand what you mean the card isn't being used..

Care to clarify more?

0 Likes
LtRav3nw00d

As far as I can tell everything gets stored to either internal phone memory ( 1GB ? ) or what is called /sdcard or /mnt/sdcard which is also internal ( ~4GB ).  Unless I explicitly tell an app to save its data to sdcard-ext ( the real external microSD card ) or copy it manually from another location to /mnt/sdcard-ext or /sdcard-ext.  Perhaps I should clarify that I want apps to install to microSD and not the so called sdcard.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It is Android. It has nothing to do with Verizon. It is one of the reasons why the Nexus Line no longer uses SD cards and UMS. They give more memory and use MTP.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

The Droid X2 does not have a 1 or 4Gig internal storage...  Copied below from http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedP...so I am unclear where you are storing your data because the internal memory isn't accessible except by installed apps and secured data for device, all other information is stored on the sd card like the spec sheet reports.

Memory / Processor
  • Nvidia Tegra2 Dual Core 1Ghz processor
  • 8GB Internal memory for emails, texts, and apps
  • 8GB pre–installed microSD card for music, videos, and pictures (expandable to 32GB
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It has the system partition where that is the default location for apps and such, the sdcard patition which is 4.7gb in size(iirc), and the sdcard(sdcard-ext).

You will have to manually move over your apps if you have not setup from the start the default location(there is a setting to change it) i believe it is in the storage settings. Once set it will move what the developer to move over.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Oh, I didn't think the did that for the Droid X2, thought the Bionic was the first Motorola to have the internal partition, thanks for the information..

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Since the Droid X2 and beyond I believe has a split partition. The Droid X2 being the smallest at 8 with a 8gb card. The Droid 3 has a 16gb internal, but didn't come with a card.

The reason why it is set for the onboard user partition is due to UMS. If you connect the phone to the computer the phone will not be able to access the partition. So your icons go goof, and ringtones reset to default(randomly). Google changed the Nexus Line to pure internal with no SD card slot and uses MTP which allows both phone and computer to access a single partition. Which gets rid of some of the bugs people complain about. It might end upbeing the future

0 Likes