Only charging through computer
andrewg8866

Recently, my wall charger stopped working, but the same USB cable charges my phone through the computer.  I purchased a new wall charger, and the first time I charged it, it worked fine.  But I went to charge it a 2nd time, and now this wall charger is not working.  Any ideas on what is going on?

0 Likes
Re: Only charging through computer
Iceshag

I'm extremely surprised to see your post, as my Moto Droid just started doing that exact same thing.  Well...almost.  When plugged into the wall charger I have to very tenderly insert the micro USB end into the droid, and then have to slightly jiggle it and manipulate it in order for the Droid to sense it and start charging.  Even the tinest movement of the droid, or merely the touch of a finger, will cause it to stop charging though and I have to reposition it once more.

After reading your post just now I plugged it straight into the computer and voila, it's working just as it normally always has.  Mind you, the charging directly from PC is still way slower, but at least it's consistantly charging. 

Anybody else having this issue?  I've checked the physical connections, nothing appears to be out of place or damaged, nor have I made any signifigant changes to the phone since this started occuring. 

0 Likes
Ms_Shonta
Contributor - Level 2

We're not showing any alerts of the wall charger not working with the Droid, make sure that the USB end is securely inserted in the phone and when you lay the phone on the base that you have it on while charging that it still inserted. Sorry about the issue!

0 Likes
Dittozmom

My Droid wall charger stopped working yesterday (11/2/10), but works fine (if not slowly) using the USB connection to the computer.  My husband's charger (we bought our Droids at the same time - same models) stopped working last night - again, USB connection to computer works fine.  The Droids were bought 4 months ago.

If there are no problems, then why am I seeing the same complaint here and on other Android forums?  We forked out a ton of money for these devices, and continue to do so monthly for our wireless plan.  This is a HUGE inconvenience, and I really can't believe how poorly Verizon's customer service treat its customers by brushing off these types of issues.  YES THERE IS A PROBLEM.  Look into it a little more closely, and respond appropriately please. 

0 Likes
Iceshag

Had the same issue with a previous Droid. (On my fourth one now)  Couldn't use it while charging it got so bad.  If moved in the slightest the charging would stop.

...so take down this memo Sheneika, because you are being alerted to now.

0 Likes
dwarner75

I have just noticed the same problem, myself.  I have had the phone for a year now, and have always used the wall charger that came with it.  It seems that it no longer works without playing with it for a bit, then it will stop charging again.  If I remove the adapter and plug it into the USB, it works fine.  I have a feeling it is somehow related to the latest system update, which I just recently installed....

0 Likes
Not applicable
I doubt it's related to any system update, as we all have the same updates.
0 Likes
berdy1983
I think its the update, my usb quit working right after I did the update. It charges, only way I know it does is because the battery pic goes from orange to green after sometime. Pc's wont recognize its plugged in, and the white light on the phone doesn't go on.
0 Likes