Phone Storage Space is Getting Low FIX?
xrockalilx

For the last 6 months my Droid Incredible will continously tell me that the "phone storage space is getting low". I have deleted almost ALL of my applications, updated my software, bought and installed a 16 GB SD card, and I obsessively clear all my downloads, caches, call history, and text messages. This is EXTREMELY annoying and dissapointing since I switched to Verizon from AT&T and this is my first Verizon phone. My gmail and my calendar will no longer sync because of this, and sometimes I will not recieve text messages. Is there a fix for this? If not, then what gives? Paying every month for a phone that I can't rely on to do what I need it to do is unacceptable.

0 Likes
Re: Phone Storage Space is Getting Low FIX?
JediWoman
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here.... Other folks are reporting the same thing. I keep receiving that warning,too. I have checked all of my storage areas and I am not low on space. I have deleted all of the extraneous email (spam, crap stuff) and I still receive this warning. The odd thing? I never encountered this when I had my Blackberry. (Bold). Since I switched to my HTC Thunderbolt I keep getting this warning. Either I am clueless or this is a bug. I have added nothing new. I have cleaned all the areas I can. So... why does this keep happening? (By the way, XRockalix, search under storage space to see the comments by others).

I hope it gets better for you. For both of us, actually. Good luck.

truly579
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue.  The answers I found on this Verizon site somewhere was to follow these steps to fix it.  But it doesn't work.  It keeps saying my phone is up to date---I still have 4.06 and that my memory is low!  Drives me nuts!  This is ridiculous.

Move as many apps as you can to the SD card (for those having issues accessing them on the SD card, the upgrade to 4.08.605.2 cured this for me).

- Clear out as much text messaging space as you can, especially images. Alternately, you can delete them all. Messages eat a lot of processing memory on these phones.

- Hit the Clear Data (and/or Clear Cache) button on large use applications (email, Gmail, facebook, etc.) After doing this, do not access those apps until after installing the update. For some, you will have to sign in again, but no data was lost since they're synced items. (To do this step, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications, select the All tab at the top, and go into each app you want to manage.)

- Press & hold the Power Button and choose Restart.

- As soon as the screen goes blank, press and hold the Power Button and the Volume Down button at the same time.

- A white menu screen will appear, it will take a second and it will perform a small self-check. Then using your Volume Down button, scroll down one spot to Recovery and press the Power button to select it. The phone will immediately show the HTC Incredible screen.

- Then a black screen will appear showing the phone and a red triangle with exclamation point, at this point press and hold the Volume Up button and then press the Power button. Using your Volume Down button again, scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition and press the Power button to select it. This will not delete anything on the phone, just clear a stagnant memory cache.

- After this is complete, select Reboot System Now. Let the phone restart completely.

- Go to Settings > About Phone > System Updates and see if the update shows. If it does, simply select Download or Reboot & Install. If it fails again due to "not enough memory", you need to clear more apps and data and repeat the above steps until it works.

- If the update does not show, back out to Settings, account & sync, then uncheck backround data. The go back to settings and  choose Date & Time, uncheck the Automatic box, and set the date 1 year ago from today (11-xx-2010), and hit Ok. (going forward a couple of years also works!)

- Return to About Phone > System Updates, it may still show "Your system is currently up to date." Back out and then go right back in to System Updates. It should be downloading the 4.08.605.2 patch update file. Reboot and Install when it prompts you. If it fails again due to "not enough memory", you need to clear more apps and data until it works.

Give it time to install, on one of my phones it took only a few minutes and on the other it took closer to 10 minutes. On one phone the Droid eye appeared for only a minute and then the phone started up completely and on the other it appeared for closer to five minutes. After the install, remember to return your Date & Time to automatic and recheck your background data in account and synck.

For any apps that aren't accessible and show up with the Droid icon, you should be able to select and remove the icon and simply add it back from your App menu. Alternately, you can re-download it from your Market.

mls3331
Contributor - Level 1

i had the same problem when i had that phone. what i had to do, was to delete most of my texts!!! from time to time. the reason being, is that there were a lot of pictures included in them, which take up a lot of space...hope this helps u out...

wanttofish
Contributor - Level 1

I got that low phone storage message a few times and after talking to.Verizon customer service, had to.do a factory reset 3 times. In my case, I found out the stock Htc email program I was using was the problem. It somehow forgot to let the phone know that more memory was available when I deleted old emails and used up the memory. Also the NY post newspaper app eats up a lot of memory for some unknown reason. Anyway, I've been using k9 email app with no problems. Also, every few weeks, I go into and clear out just the cashe on all apps which just takes 5 min or so. Hopefully this helps. I went through hell before I figured this out. Good luck.

0 Likes
smartguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

What SW are you on ? I heard there wer elot of improvements in  recent sw upgrades.

Also it is happening  becuase your internal memory is filled out on older SW.

you can clear your internal memory by clearing cache or applications or moving apps to  SD card.

Upgrade your SW to latest SW, you should get rid of that  notification . I  read somewhere that notification message comes when internal memory or device memory is lower than 10% .

0 Likes
willwork4travel

I had the same problem and tried everything suggested with no success. Took it to the Verizon store. I was told it was my email, even though I don't store email on my phone. They said it was a recent change in Comcast's email. They downloaded the Xfinity email app and it did take care of the problem for now.

0 Likes
truly579
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just going to wait for my next upgrade, August, and switch to another cell.  I GIVE UP!

0 Likes
HGPilot

My Incredible behaves the same way, and has for the last year and a half. The kicker is that you probably *aren't* low on space, so moving things to the SD card or even upgrading the SD card won't help. From what I gather, there is a flaw in the Facebook for HTC app that has never been fixed. A workaround that has helped me is this:

Tap the Low Space notification, or follow Settings->Applications->Manage Applications and hit the "All" tab.

Find "Facebook" in the list and tap it.

Press the Clear Data button.

The low space notification should go away.

Of course, the down side of this approach is that a) you must log back into Facebook the next time you use it, and b) when you do the Low Space warning will eventually return.

My phone has behaved this way through many updates of the OS and of Facebook. I don't hold much hope that it will be fixed.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
River_ratt

After having the same problem on my incredible, I found which app is causing the problem. Go to settings, apps, manage, all, scroll down to mail and see how many MB it is using. It should be less than 5MB. Mine was 107MB. I cleared the data, then reinstalled my settings for my email accounts, and so far so good. It is not SMS messages or MMS, either.

0 Likes