Phone not receiving calls from the network
codeman87
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay.  My phone will randomly not pick up calls from the network.  I have been experiencing this problem for over a year now.  It started when I had a Casio Rock and continued when I upgraded to a Droid X(well, it took 3 phones to get one that wouldn't reboot every two minutes).  I have talked with Verizon tier 2 tech support more times than I can count with no results. They always open a trouble ticket and then tell me that everything on their end looks good.  This past time I spoke with Verizon, the guy was convinced that it had to be my phone.  He said that the radio in my phone was probably bad even though the phone was only 6 months old.  I was sent a Droid X2 to replace the "defective" phone.  Needless to say, there is no change.  Tonight for instance, I got a text from someone saying that they tried to call me several times.  My phone was sitting on the counter and did not ring once and no call history showed on my phone despite the fact that I had three bars.  I have been through every troubleshooting option in the book.  Every setting on the phone has been checked and rechecked.  I always have a good signal.  Sorry for my rant!

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone gotten it fixed?

I always liked Verizon more than AT&T but I am seriously considering a change.  

0 Likes
Re: Phone not receiving calls from the network
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello codeman87,

Thank you for reaching out to the community for assistance. It is my pleasure to evaluate your situation and get your service working for you! May I ask what city and state are you in? Are you able to make calls successfully? Are you receiving a voice mail notification on your device, even though the device may not ring? Below are a few troubleshooting steps that you can try to get this issue resolved.

• Dial *73 send on the device to ensure that call forwarding is not active.
  • Turn off bluetooth and wi-fi in the Settings Menu.
  • Remove the battery while the device is powered on and re-insert the battery onto the device then power up.
  • Verify that Usage Controls is not active on your mobile number via My Verizon.
  • Remove any 3rd party apps that block incoming calls or restricted calls.

Once you have tried the steps above, please post your findings a more troubleshooting may be needed. I'm looking forward to getting this issue resolved for you.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
codeman87
Enthusiast - Level 2

This has been the process repeated with every representative I have talked to.  I recently got a call back from tech support and he actually told me that I would just have to deal with it because they could not figure it out.  After 5 years of being a very loyal customer to Verizon, I am looking to switch to AT&T.  I really hate to do that but in the end, I need a phone that works ALL the time and not just when it wants to.  This problem has already cost me one job opportunity and it scares me to think what could happen if someone needed to get in touch with me in an emergency situation.  No one else I know with Verizon has this problem.  So, feel free to look over my numerous trouble tickets and see if you can see something that everyone else apparently missed.

Not applicable

Good Afternoon codeman87,

I definitely understand the importance of having a reliable device to meet your communication needs. We certainly would not want to lose your valued business. If your problems are continuing to persist, we would appreciate the opportunity to further troubleshoot. We are happy to review your account records. Please send us your account information via a DM.

Sincerely,

JonathanK_VZW

VZW Support

Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
onemoretime

I had the exact same problem with my iphone 4.  I first noticed the problem a year ago and called in.  I have talked to numerous tech supports.  They had me go through power cycles, *228, reboots, factory restore, manual typing in contacts, etc. to no avail.  They said everything was fine on the network side.  They even replaced my phone with another iphone 4.  They were all courteous but, ultimately nothing solved the problem.  The most frustrating part of the problem is that it comes and goes, and you have no idea when the phone is not receiving incoming calls until you meet someone in person and they complain that I didn't answer their call or text.  When they leave voice messages, messages would arrive after a few days.  Currently, I replaced the iphone 4 with my original droid to see if it makes any difference.  My feeling is that I would end up switching to another carrier, which I don't really want to do after being with Verizon for over 13 years.  Over the years, I've had several friends switch from AT&T to Verizon because I was able to boast of the reliable call connection.  Now I'm seriously considering switching out of Verizon when my contract is up.

0 Likes
BamaAtHeart1963

I have a Droid Charge and I get the same thing. Missed calls/text that never come in or are a few days late. Signal on my phone constantly drops out where i cannot even call out a lot of times. Do all the usuals, Reboot, etc,etc. Been a known fact with these but like others, they can only replace with same phone. Does no good since it seems to be the model itself. Cannot even use my data 90% of time. Been with Verizon a long time and have 4 phones on my account for family members as emergency phones. There's are basic phones and do not have signal call/text problems. Pretty Sad when a $30 basic phone works better than my $200+ "Smartphone" I even have a joke i tell everyone now when i hear from them saying they have been trying to reach me. Tell them it is simply, I have the Dumbest Smartphone I have ever seen

0 Likes
jmwhite7

In the past two and a half years my wife and I have had two motorola rivals, two Droid 2s, two Samsung stratospheres, and now this week a galaxy s 3 and an htc rezound.  Every time we get a new phone thinking that will fix the issues.  We still periodically do not get calls.  It's much more frequent with her number than with mine, but I don't get nearly as many calls.   And it's not just my account, I also have a windows mobile phone through my office, they are also on Verizon, and I periodically miss calls when I have full signal.

I've spent 2 years troubleshooting this issue, at this point I feel comfortable saying it's a network issue.  I'm tired of running troubleshooting cycles or spending an extra hour fighting through traffic because I missed a call or text about picking something up while I'm in the other city. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi jmwhite7 - Your time is valuable and I want to get to the bottom of your reported trouble once and for all. Were you able to try the recommendations that ArnettH_VZW suggested to codeman87 in March? That would be a great start to determining what's going on. Also, during any of of your troubleshooting with us have we had an opportunity to file a Resolution Ticket with our Network Team?

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
61LegsAndCounting

I had been unable to receive calls for about 48 hours.  Callers get the message that service is not available.  I have rebooted, pulled the battery, etc.  I wondered about the possibility that i had inadvertently forwarded my calls but never checked it out.  After reading these posts, i tried the *73 to cancel call forwarding then called my cell and it went through.  Back in service again!  Thanks.  I am hoping it wasn't just a coincidence.

0 Likes
ricwothek

Droid turbo user here, just started having the same problem of not receiving calls. at first the phone would just go to voice mail, now it says that the verizon wireless customer is unavailable. talk to a CS rep and they refreshed the sim card and assured me that the problem was solved and then i was able to receive calls. but the next morning same problem occurred. so i powered off my device and powered it back on and once again able to receive calls. contacted CS again to see what was causing this and they asked if they could call me back to see if the problem was fixed by the reboot and of course the call went through. then i questioned why my voice mail wasn't working now and callers hear i'm unavailable so she wanted me to hang-up and let the call go to voice mail. needless to say the problem occurred again and she was unable to reach me, via call, voice mail or text message. Called CS back and asked to speak with the person who was originally helping me and they said she would call me  back Funny. explained that i was not able to receive call and the Cs rep suggested that I dial *73 and disable call forwarding as SOMETIMES THIS TURNS ON FOR NO KNOWN REASON, so i did called from my wife's Phone and still same problem. Then i rebooted my phone again and able to receive call. wasn't until i rebooted the phone again did i receive a text stating that the first CS rep  was unable to reach me and to please call CS back as soon possible.  I was told that this could be a sim card problem, tower problem (even though on there end everything is good and I've always had Full bar strength) Or it could be a device problem. But i agree i need a phone that works all the time and not after a reboot. I also would think the Tech support should be able to isolate the cause and not give you three option that you won't know if they work until someone tell you that they called you.

0 Likes