Please help!
got2kids

Good afternoon everyone,

I am having issues with my Incredible where I keep receiving the same text message at least 500 times so far in the past day, and it freezes up my phone. Customer service and tech at store want to reset my phone completely.. I have about 1500 pictures that I need to transfer (easiest method), does anyone have any suggestions? I am at work and am not able to be on the phone for long periods of time for my personal matters.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

0 Likes
Re: Please help!
Wildman
Legend

Is the text message from someone you know or does it seem like it could be a spam message?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

If not a spam message,

First battery Pull

Second, call *228 and choose option 1

If it is a spam message, take the number the text is coming from and log into your online account and add it to the free. "Block numbers" option.

0 Likes
ChaunceyM_VZW
Contributor - Level 3

Hello got2kids! I'd imagine that this issue is quite annoying. Along with the great info provided by the community members, I would like to add a few points. If you have the specific number that the messages are coming from you can add a Call and Message Block. This will block all calls and messages from the numbers you select. Below are the instructions for adding the feature to your services: 

1. Sign in to My Verizon.

2. Locate the I Want To... section.

3. Select More Actions.

4. In the Safety & Security column, click  Block Calls & Messages.

5. Select appropriate MDN fromBlock Details for drop-down (if applicable).

6. Enter in telephone number.

7. Check off "Apply these settings to all eligible lines" box (if applicable).

8. ClickApply button

If the message is a SPAM Message we also offer a block to stop the messages. Below are the instructions to add the block:

1. Sign in to My Verizon.

2. Locate the I Want To... section.

3. Select More Actions.

4. In the Safety & Security column, click Block Internet Spam.

5. Select appropriate MDN fromBlock Details for drop-down (if applicable).

6. Click the Internet Spam Blocking tab.

7. Enter the email address, domain or text names (nickname@vtext.com).

8. Select Message Blocking Preferences:

• Block all text messages sent from the web.

• Block all text messages sent from email.

9. ClickApply button.

Lastly, the best way to transfer pictures from your phone, will be connect the device to your PC using the USB cable. You will be prompted to sync the phone with your PC. Locate the SD Card under "Computer" on your PC. Find your pictures select and transfer to your desired location. 

ChaunceyM_VZWSuport

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
alicateire
Enthusiast - Level 2

This will continue to be an excalating problem as long as Verizon Wireless refuses to even RECOGNIZE that it is NOT providing customers with an option to block messages sent from the web.

As long as someone provides a cell phone number to LOOK as though it is the sender - as if the message is coming FROM a cell phone, not the web - then Verizon Wireless deludes itself into thinking that the problem is spoofing. There are any number of programs which allow someone to send an SMS where the sender will appear to be a valid cell phone number.

The company is clueless if it will claim that it will "Block all text messages sent from the web", while BLATANTLY IGNORING THE FACT THAT IT IS NOT DOING SO. The issue is not spoofing the sender's number, it's that the messages are not only not sent from the number shown, but not sent from ANY number at all. They are SENT FROM THE WEB.

The "spoof" is that Verizon doesn't understand - or more accurately, REFUSES to recognize -  that the masquaraded number isn't the point, rather it is the method, the origin, where the message is coming FROM - THE WEB. These messages are NOT being blocked. They ARE spam

Message Blocking Preferences
  These settings apply to all messages from any sender.

Block all text messages sent from the web

is a complete and utter lie

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Ya dug up a rather old thread to post about.

But you are correct, messages sent from web based text sites can get through just fine, but not necessarily spam. Sad part you can do so from VZW website as well

0 Likes
alicateire
Enthusiast - Level 2

Budone, thank you.

It wasn't so much that I "dug it up" as this was one of the results when I searched for any discussion related to the issue, both in this forum and elsewhere.

While Verizon insists on ignoring and denying reality, I figure that it is important for customers to be made aware of the "false advertising". And perhaps if more attention is given to the issue, the company will actually do something to address it. Or at the very least, stop LYING to customers that they are providing a feature to block all messages sent from the web!

While messages "may not necesarily be spam", they CAN - and in my case, quite obviously ARE. As I am not in a text plan, and absolutely want to retain the ability to send and receive legitimate text mesages, each of these SPAM ones costs me money.

Since the phone number displayed as the sender is not where the messages are coming from (since they are not even coming from ANY number, at all), I have been wasting my five alloted spaces to block specific numbers on them. Gets rather obvious when the same spam message comes from multiple "numbers" - and yes, this is also a problem when the number is SIMPLY spoofed. But these messages are rather obviously sent from the web - for example, by providing links to websites, not  prompting to"reply"

0 Likes