Poor Reception While Visiting in Tustin CA
Kraston

I'm using the Motorola Droid while visiting our son here in Tustin CA.  We are having very poor reception and dropped calls here.  According to the coverage map we should be fine.  Phone works while upstairs, but not downstairs.  Is there some secret to getting coverage downstairs?  My son was thinking of switching from T-Mobile to Verizon, but he's not sure now after seeing the coverage problem here in the Tustin/Irvine border area (Great Park).  Appreciate any ideas...thank you.  From an old senior...please teach this old dog some new tricks.

0 Likes
Re: Poor Reception While Visiting in Tustin CA
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

Try dialing *228 send and option 1 to update the PRL on your phone.  That updates the tower information in your phone and should give you better reception.  

0 Likes
Kraston

Sorry for the slow reply, but we did try the *228 while visiting our son out in Tustin CA 92787 and we continued to have the problem of dropped calls while visiting at that location.  Our phone works just fine back here in Bellevue NE.  Our son also has a Motorola Droid X and he continues to have the problem.  Might be his location, I don't know....

Thanks for your assistance.  Sincerely,  Kraston Scott{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

Sometimes powering the device off  and removing the battery for about 1 minute, then putting the battery back in and powering the device on, will also  correct signal issues.  

0 Likes
Ferdie
Enthusiast - Level 2

How about calling *228, then selecting option 2.  That's what I was advised by the Operations Tech from Verizon Wireless.  Selecting option 2 is for re-programming reception accommodations for your phone to the cell phone tower (and vice versa), while option 1 is for re-programming your device itself.  WHICH OPTION IS REALLY CORRECT TO USE THEN? ... OPTION 1 OR OPTION 2?  I used to have poor reception and most of the time no reception at all ... 1x with one bar, not even any 1x, and sometimes intermittent 3G with full bars and most of the time 3G with no bars at all.  This started first week of January, maybe around January 5, 2011, to the point that I called Verizon Wireless informing them about my situation at the same time pointing out that based on my device's status, the Signal Strength was weak, and "no service" indicated on Service State.  By the way, I have Froyo Android Version 2.2.1 installed.  I was given $10.00 credit for the loss of service!

SO FAR, MY RECEPTION HAS IMPROVED USING OPTION 2 AS ADVISED BY THE OPERATIONS TECH WHICH OVERSEES DIFFERENT CELL PHONE TOWER SITES' RECEPTIONS.  COULD YOU VERIFY PLEASE, AS IT CONTRADICT THE SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN TO ME.  ANYWAY, FOR YOUR INFO, THIS OPERATIONS TECH WHO WAS MONITORING MY PHONE AFTER RECEIVING MY COMPLAINT CALLED ME PERSONALLY AND INFORMED THAT BASED ON MY PHONE DATA, I HAVE A POOR NETWORK RECEPTION.  THIS TECH IS BASED ON SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, AND NOT OVERSEAS OUTSOURCING!  SO FAR, MY RECEPTION IS BETTER AND COMMENDING THE TECH AND VERIZON IN PARTICULAR, FOR HAVING THE TIME IN CONTACTING ME PERSONALLY.

0 Likes