Poor reception since the ICS update in TN
s365b

I am having problems with my Droid Bionic having reception. My husband signed up with Verizon over 10 years ago because they were the only company that had service coverage at out house. For the last several years our service has continued to decline but we had great reception if we went outside or left the house...( When Verizon was contacted about the lack of service they told us we must not be in a coverage zone...the "coverage locator" shows we should have 4G LTE service at our house.) I upgraded to the ICS when prompted by my phone. The service reception is now worse than ever. On a good day I have 1 bar of service and at work I have no reception at all for calls or texts. I have never had great call reception at work but could still send & receive text message. The phone has also been dropping calls in areas where I should have full service. I have a job that requires me to be available by phone at all times and I have been missing calls due to lack of service.  Has anyone else had this problem or know what could be causing it?

0 Likes
Re: Poor reception since the ICS update in TN
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is recommended that you clear the system cache or do a factory reset after installing ICS; have you tried either?  It may not help your signal issue, but wouldn't hurt to try.  I'd suggest doing a system cache clear first (it shouldn't erase your data):

Power down phone

Hold volume up/down & power simultaneously

Use volume down to navigate to 'Recovery', use volume up to select

Should see screen with triangle and exclamation point next to an Android

Press volume up/down simultaneously

Use volume rocker to navigate to 'wipe cache' and use power button to select

Once finished, use volume rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and use power button to select

0 Likes
Not applicable

what part of Tenn do you live in. I live in Tenn and my reception is fine.

0 Likes
s365b

Thank you. Haven't tried it yet. Are these the directions for the factory reset or for the system cache. Once I have done the system cache will my pictures/data go back to my gallery or will I need to move them over. Also if I do the factory reset will I have to go back & try to re-download all of my apps. I'm am not technology savy beyond doing basic functions. thanks again for you help.

0 Likes
s365b

I live just outside of Clarksville. I used to have pretty good service when I was in town but now I am dropping calls like crazy. I can understand to a point maybe not having perfect service at home but I used to have full service. My hsuband has the same phone...his service is just as bad as mine so I don't think it is an individual phone problem.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Those are the directions to do a system cache clear, which I suggested you do first; it will not affect any of your data.  If that doesn't help, there may be other troubleshooting that could be done, such as re-seating your SIM card.  If you do a factory reset, yes, that will wipe everything off the phone so that it will be like it was 'out of the box' and you'll have to re-load everything ... so if it comes to that, you'll want to back everything up first (and remove the SD card to be on the safe side).

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Maybe Verizon is having tower issues in your area, since you have multiple phones with the same issue?

0 Likes
s365b

I figure that is the case it is just so frustrating to pay so much for a service I can't get. I will keep trying. Thanks!

0 Likes
s365b

I appreciate the help. I cleared the system cache & tried re-seating my SIM card. Neither seemed to help the service reception at work but I will try to watch it closely at home to see if it has gotten better. At this point I prefer not to do the hard reset. It is probably a tower problem & I will continue checking with the techs.  Thanks again for all your help...I had no idea there was a menu that could be pulled up after you powered down the phone.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome.  Hopefully the reception will improve.

0 Likes