Post OTA 5.5.893 update problem listing
rckt82
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Update seemed to fix a lot of problems. Not all the bugs have been resolved completely, improved yes, but still existing. I created this discussion board to start a list for Bionic owners to help bring to light new and residual problems since the latest OTA update pushed out this month 12/2011. Please list any issues you have found to help Verizon/Motorola aware of these issues to hopefully start on another OTA soon. and please comment if you are experiencing the same issues listed by others to help sort out isolated issues.

Here are a few problems I have post OTA:

1. Data connection still drops and takes an unreasonable time to reconnect and toggling the airplane mode is still sometimes required. The data drops are not nearly as bad as the use to be and at least it can obtain a 3g signal. Before a data connection seemed to be 4g or nothing so at least this problem has been improved, but it still exists.

2. Standard Desktop dock issues now. After the update, my screen will no longer stay on when it's on my standard media dock. It keeps switching off. I cant change the dock format from the pull down menu anymore when the phone is docked. I have to pull the phone off the dock and re-cradle it to have the dock options pop up. I've tried doing an extended battery pull to reset the phone and I have cleared out all of the phones cache and history files. nothing seems to work. Another bionic owner has also experienced this same issue and posted it on the Motorola Mobility owners forum (which is apparently down right now and isn't expected to be back up and running for an "unknown period of time").

0 Likes
Re: Post OTA 5.5.893 update problem listing
jernigas

I have also experienced the screen shut down problem in the standard dock after the update this morning.  I have been through a battery reboot with no joy.  Just went through a full factory reset and still have the same problem.  Will call support again tomorrow to report the issue.  I think this time I will also escalate to Motorola support also

0 Likes
jernigas

I have also experienced the screen shut down problem in the standard dock after the update this morning. The timing of the shut down is random.  From 2 minutes to more than an hour.  I have been through a battery reboot with no joy.  Just went through a full factory reset and still have the same problem.  Will call support again tomorrow to report the issue.  I think this time I will also escalate to Motorola support also

0 Likes
jernigas

Received update this morning 12/17 and have had a problem when the phone is in a standard docking station since.  The screen will go dark after a short period, from 2 minutes to slightly over one hour.  I have been through a battery removal reset twice and finally went into a full factory retore.  Took 2 hours to recover all setup and apps.  Still have the problem.  Problem is in the update and needs to be fixed quickly.   I will call Verizon tomorrow to report again and will also escellate to Motorola support.

0 Likes
jpvybes
Enthusiast - Level 2
I haven't noticed any improvement with data drops and also noticed battery life is worse poat update. Seems like android os is also consuming around 50% for me and it used to be much lower.
0 Likes
lasermole

Updated my Bionic to the 893 about a week ago and all was fine until today when my data connection has been dropped since I woke up and has not restored despite 2 reboots and multiple toggles of Airplane mode.

This is really infuriating :smileymad: 

I have to wonder if rooting and swapping roms for something else would be a wise move. But in my experience that would only make things even less reliable. And I really love this phone, with the extended battery it last me all day (over 12 hrs with heavy use) and its fast and powerful. But I keep contemplating switching to the Galaxy Nexus just to escape the aggravation.

Hope there is a REAL solid fix for this **bleep** soon. These **bleep** phones cost us too much for us to just deal with these sort of issues.

lasermole.

0 Likes
BionicIsABrick

In my opinion, the update did nothing to improve connectivity in my area.

I believe The Verizon Bionic is a dead product, we just don't know it yet.

0 Likes
jpvybes
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree, we pay way to much for these phones to be going through these issues. As far as I'm concerned it's now a $200 paper weight!  The connectivity issue is worse now, I find myself having to cycle through airplane mode 3 or 4 times a day.

0 Likes
pettis63

I have been experiencing problems with "Loss of Connectivity" at least now 6-8 times/day where I have no service, I'm not able to send text, use data, or make calls and I am on a 3G network, 4G is no where by me....This started a day after the update to the 5.5.893.  Calls, text messages I can get but, I can't get out..I've called Verizon, and Motorola, I did 2 system resets, taken out my battery numerous times with the symptoms returning.  Verizon will send me a "refurbished" phone, I've paid $200 and I want a brand new one not a refurb!!!

0 Likes
pettis63

I just got off the phone with Motorola support, I could send my phone in to them to take a look at...it will take approx.3-5 days for them to look at...but maybe that is the better option

0 Likes