[Q]droid x stuck in bootloader
dadsterflip

just happened recently. not sure what happened but is this covered underwarranty? update to 2.2 recently also

0 Likes
Re: [Q]droid x stuck in bootloader
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
If you're getting stuck on the "M" screen, put it in the freezer for about 5 min before boot-up. I know it sounds crazy, but there is a thread about 10 pages long about this and that is the only posted solution that seems to work.
0 Likes
dadsterflip

well mine is just plain stuck in bootloader screen and i can't seem to get pas that. ive done millions not exactly that but battery pulls. how exactly do they process the warranty. testing and all taht?

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
I'm sure if you took it into a store, they would replace it for you. If you are still within your 30 days, you will get a new device, otherwise it will be "certified like new".
0 Likes
dadsterflip

ok thats fine. i called verizon and their shipping me a like new device. does that mean that, that with that? warranty wise? or do they do more futher testing? i just dont' know what i did and i don't want them to turn around and said i did even doh everybody seems to behaving problems with 2.2 freezing or locking up. 

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
As long as there's no apparent signs of "monkey business", you should be fine, though I don't know exactly what lengths they go to.
0 Likes
jasonln

Yeah.  I think I figured this out, after some experimentation and reading other forum posts.  After update to 2.2, the Droid X will not boot if the internal temperature is even slightly above ambient (i.e. warm).  Interestingly enough, the screen is active, although it is stuck on the Motorola boot screen.  With the logo stuck up there, if I hold the power button, and tap just below the Motorola logo, the phone will turn off (i.e. just like you would turn off the phone if you could see the UI screen).  For troubleshooting purposes this is much easier than removing the battery.  Anyhow, this became obvious from the forum post where people were putting their batteries in the freezer for 5 minutes and then booting up successfully with 2.2.  The phone freezes after the update to 2.2 because the process of updating is very cpu-intensive and generates a lot of heat.  When the phone attempts to boot after the update, some sort of internal temperature sensor notices that the device is at a certain temperature, and some cascading bug in 2.2 is caused by the registered temperature being above an acceptable level (which is not really all that hot).  I found that putting the battery or device in the freezer is not necessary, it is simply enough to turn the device off and let it cool for 5 minutes or more, and then it boots up fine, every time.  Not that this type of behavior is acceptable at all, but it does point to a software problem rather than a hardware problem as 2.1 did not have this problem. The temperature sensor is probably fine, how its data is being interpreted by the kernel is not.  Once the device has booted it can get as hot as it wants without any problem (within reason of course) but the phone will not boot if warm on 2.2 (Froyo).

Just my 2 cents.

Jason, Droid X owner for ~24 hours

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
Great write up, hopefully it helps people understand why it's happening. That makes total sense.
0 Likes
Armored

Concur with above poster.  I had not problems on 2.1.  Started freezing with 2.2.  I have pulled the battery a few times in order to get it to start correctly.  I also found that I could shut it down when it froze but hitting power key and estimating where the off option would be if the screen was displaying correctly.  It does seem to get hung up when the phone is warm, but it  does not actually feel "hot." 

0 Likes