QUESTION ABOUT LOCATION SETTINGS....
AZSALUKI
Legend

i used to get some type of message, prompting me to activate the location, when i would turn on my device. i no longer get it. to be honest, i never really paid attention, but always just hit "yes" at start up. is anyone familiar with it and which of the "location on" settings should i use for the most accuracy (under settings->location->location on settings). i have it set to google location services....but not sure if i should use verizon or standalone gps instead? anyone familiar with this???

0 Likes
Re: QUESTION ABOUT LOCATION SETTINGS....
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
Location On is for gps on the phone. Programs like weather will take the most advantage of this. I recommend keeping it on although its not a huge deal if its off. Battery power will be slightly less with it on.
Google location settings are for local results when searching Google services. No real gps capability but it will give you that pizza places name down the block first when you search the name pizza. Get the concept?
Finally, I use the WiFi, airplane mode, gps off once in a while. Maybe you also want to put the system tools widget on a homescreen. It's handy, and when your concerned about energy its nice to do a couple taps and have it fixed.
0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
Oh and the big one, gps for Google maps needs to be on. Gps, location On- same thing.
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

cool....thx. so should i just set ALL 3 to be on (vzw location, standalone gps, and google location)? i want every app and anything to know where i am....lol. not concerned to much about the power drain. i figure we got bells and whistles so i'm gonna use them!! i just didn't know what the difference in the 3 choices was?

0 Likes
MastaCoz
Enthusiast - Level 3

You probably don't need the vzw location service on if you want everything else to be used on the phone.  I have a feeling that the vzw location is for their navigation services.  For other GPS stuff use the Standalone, or if using Google services use theirs.  If you want precise mapping where you are, use Standalone, it's the most precise.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

thx

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Well with 2.2 there are THREE GPS options you can turn on. Standalone GPS, Google locations services GPS, and Verizon Location Services GPS.

0 Likes