Questions using Droid Ultra
SSlider
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got my Droid Ultra for Christmas and have a few issues.

First:  Why do I have to have my data turned on when I am using my home wifi to send and receive multimedia messages?  When I had my old basic phone with  no data I could send and receive picture/video/voice messages no problem, suddenly now when I try to send a picture message I get a message popping up telling me I have to turn my data on to complete the task?  Why when I'm using Wifi?  And when I do use the data to send and receive messages it takes literally hours like 4 or more to get the message or send it.  What is up with that?  It should take minutes not hours.  I am not happy about this issue, and it isn't the only one I have.

Second:  You are supposed to be able to resize widgets on the home page if when you press and hold on the icon and a blue box appears you are supposed to be able to resize the object.  I can't.  I have a wallpaper that I want to actually see on my phone but it is covered up by the time widget so I changed from the one that came installed to a different one that I don't like but it was resizeable.  I can't resize it.  When I crop it to where I want it as soon as I release my finger from the screen it reverts back to the original size.

Third:  You can't delete individual messages from a person in messaging.  I have to delete the whole thread.  There are some messages I would like to hold on to but can't unless I save all 100 messages from that person.

Fourth.  Saving a picture from a text message.  Can't do it.  There is no option to save a picture that I get in a text message.  I have one of my niece on Christmas morning I want to add to my gallery but can't because there is no option to save the picture.

So far I am NOT impressed by the so called smartphones!  They are more limited than my basic phone I used to have.  Only upgraded because I wanted a bigger screen with better camera.  So not worth it!  If anyone can help since the "live chat" option on the site isn't working either please any advice is greatly appreciated!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Questions using Droid Ultra
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should read the full user manual. http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/droid-ultra/droid-ultra-manual.pdf

1. Picture messages require the cellular data connection to transfer the attachment across the network. It won't work through the wifi connection.
  2. Not all widgets can be resized. For the ones that can be, they have a minimum size and a maximum size.
  3. You have to open the thread and long press the individual message to get a menu with various options including deleting the individual message.
  4. See my response to number 3 and this might be discussed in the manual.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should read the full user manual. http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/droid-ultra/droid-ultra-manual.pdf

1. Picture messages require the cellular data connection to transfer the attachment across the network. It won't work through the wifi connection.
  2. Not all widgets can be resized. For the ones that can be, they have a minimum size and a maximum size.
  3. You have to open the thread and long press the individual message to get a menu with various options including deleting the individual message.
  4. See my response to number 3 and this might be discussed in the manual.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

SSlider
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you!  Thank you!  I contacted the dealer where I got the phone and they were clueless!  No idea how to help me.  But there is still one thing that is an issue.  The length of time it takes to send or receive a multimedia message.  My husband sent me his ringtone so I could  use it in my Droid and it literally took 2 days with data turned on to download.  The picture of my niece took 6 hours to download.  I sent a picture to my daughter of a baby shower invitation I thought she might like.  After 2 hours it still hadn't sent the message.  Why is it taking so long to complete sending or receiving?  Thanks again for all your help! 

Sherrie

Private info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SSlider, congratulations on your upgrade to a new Droid Ultra. We can address all of your concerns.

First, disabling the data on your device is optional when you're connected to WiFi. When connected to WiFi, you're not using your data allowance.

Secondly, we apologize that you will be unable to resize the widgets on your home page.

Third, you may delete individual text messages within a conversation by tapping Message>tap the contact's conversation>tap Menu>you will be provided with the option to delete individual messages.

Fourth, to save a picture from a text message, you will need to access that text message, tap menu, and then choose the option to save to gallery.

For more device support, click http://bit.ly/y5iuoj

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

SSlider
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for responding to my questions.

The first question wasn't if I was able to disconnect my data while using Wifi, I know I can do that, and that is exactly what I have been doing.  The problem is when I do not have my data on and I try to send a multimedia message like a picture message I am not able to.  I get a message that pops up telling me that I can only send the message if my data is turned on and it won't send the message until I turn my data back on even though the Wifi is on and at full bars because I am right next to my router.  And the same holds true when I try to receive multimedia messages.  I can't download anything unless my data is turned on  I should not have to have my data connected in order to carry out these tasks.  I did these things with no data on a basic phone, this should be no different.  But everyone tells me that I have to have my data on to do these things.  I still don't know why I have to have the data on to send a picture message or receive one.

I did have someone explain how to delete individual messages, and save pictures from a text message so that is huge for me!

But the other issue I am having is when I turn my data on and send a picture message it takes 2 or 3  hours to send, and when I receive a multimedia message with the data turned on it takes 6 plus hours to download.  My husband sent me a message with his ringtone I like in it so I can use it on my phone, it literally  took 2 days to download that message with the data turned on.  I know it should not be taking this long to send these and receive these types of messages so why is it taking this long for mine??? 

If you can explain why it is taking so long to do this and specifically why I have to have data turned on to do these things I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you again for taking the time to help me.

Slider

Private info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We can certainly assist in explaining your data usage for MMS SSlider. As mentioned, all MMS messages must be sent through our Network, as Smartphones need VZW data to transmit. However, it should not take long for the data to be transmitted. Does this happen with every message, or is it random? When turning off WiFi, please try restarting phone before turning on Mobile Data to see if message is trasmitted faster this way. Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SSlider thank you for the additional info! We want to make sure you can send the multimedia messages with ease! I would recommend resetting the messaging application by http://vz.to/JCAJIq. Next similar to a basic device, sending a MMS does require that you are connected to the cellular network. You may have not noticed the difference since basic devices are not capable of connecting to Wi Fi. Rest assure when you are not looking to send a MMS that you can connect to Wi Fi as much as you like to manage your allowance.

AshleyS_VZW

0 Likes