RAM and Internal Storage in the droid charge
px2011

I would like to check if my device (Samsung droid charge) has the correct amount of RAM and internal storage. On the task manager it shows 328MB ram as the Max and internal phone storage as 1.17 MB Max. I have read seen the specifications on some websites as 512MB RAM and 2 GB internal storage. Can anyone confirm if their device has 328 or 512 MB RAM ? I am just wondering if I got a defective device.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: RAM and Internal Storage in the droid charge
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Part of the 528 is dedicated for graphics use, the remainder is what is shown in the task manager cause it's what is available for apps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

The 328 is probally the free ram after all stock apps are loaded into the memory at start up.  Also the internal memory that they reported on specs sheet is always before the OS is installed that could use at least a quarter of what the original size reported..

Memory / Processor

• 2GB onboard memory (Actual formatted capacity may be less.)
0 Likes
majael
Contributor - Level 1

px2011 wrote:

I would like to check if my device (Samsung droid charge) has the correct amount of RAM and internal storage. On the task manager it shows 328MB ram as the Max and internal phone storage as 1.17 MB Max. I have read seen the specifications on some websites as 512MB RAM and 2 GB internal storage. Can anyone confirm if their device has 328 or 512 MB RAM ? I am just wondering if I got a defective device.

If your phone is defective, so is mine.
These things are more like small laptops or PCs that use a 512MB set of RAM for both the operating system execution as well as for the applications you load and use.  Same for the internal storage that is used to retain the Android OS.

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3
Px, thats what I have, its normal.
0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Part of the 528 is dedicated for graphics use, the remainder is what is shown in the task manager cause it's what is available for apps.

0 Likes
PJBtheBull17
Enthusiast - Level 1

My last phone was an original Moto Droid and I did run into "Low RAM" issues because I had too many apps competing for limited RAM space and ended up with a lot of forced shutdowns with what I wanted to use at the time.  I was also a beta tester for App Inventor and my Gmail account was going snakey with too many emailed notes about AI testing and questions.  I stopped the "send to email function" from Google and archived the several thousand emails to my PC's hard drive.  That seemed to clear up a lot of the RAM issue.

Now with DC I have twice the number of APPs with absolutely no RAM issues.

0 Likes
px2011

Thanks, all for your your replies. After the gingerbread update , it now shows the available RAM as 373 MB. That seems to be the only significant difference the upgrade has made.

0 Likes