Random Speaker Static
dlcj21
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I didn't notice this before the 2.3.6 update.  Mainly because I use a bluetooth headset paired with my phone, but today I forgot it at home and in all of my calls, using the handset and holding it up to my ear, about every 10 or so seconds there's a loud static sound.

I just read that this was a common problem before the update but I was wondering if any of you are experiencing the same thing after the update?  Is there anything I can do to make it go away?  This is my 3rd droid charge in 5.5 months, replacing it is getting old...

0 Likes
Re: Random Speaker Static
lisach

Yes, it's driving me crazy.  It only started after the update was installed.  Customer service had me take the battery out, etc,

but it's still happening completely randomly during calls, speakerphone or not.  Sounds like a software problem, from the forums

I've read.  Anyone else know anything about this?  Doesn't sound worth replacing the phone for, if it can happen just as easily on a new one.  Thanks!

0 Likes
gc4

I also started to get the random Speaker Static after the update on Friday.  Boy this update was a bad one for the Charge.  Any Help would be nice.

0 Likes
mgreen360

Yeah, I am having the exact same problem. No static issues until the update, its very loud and annoying. Is there any way to roll back to Froyo? I am also consistently being logged out of Facebook and Twitter on a 24 hour basis now. Terrible update, IMO

0 Likes
KooZeek

I allowed the update and I've been getting those crazy static noises as well.  Verizon technicians are absolutely no help.  Maybe enough compliants will prompt a fix.

0 Likes
xsvenom

I do recall after the update a few day later I decided to plug in my Skull Candy earbuds and sit in my apartment and enjoy some tunes. I do remember hearing a crackel and popping noise every once in awhile. I will have ot test it now, I thought it might have been my earbuds. I'm at work now on lunch I will have to hear how it sounds with a different pair of earbuds.

0 Likes
xsvenom

update:  sounds fine today, maybe it was the song I listend to or it was the earbuds. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
rromain

I am also getting the same annoying static bursts.  I was excited for this update and now I'm just annoyed....

0 Likes
AndrewDM

I have the same problem, I haven't heard that it was a problem on my wife's phone but it only started after the GB update and it only happens during calls. I can play music and it's not a problem then, only in calls. Some calls are fine but on other calls it might happen 3 or 4 times. It's certainly an annoying sound when it blasts in your ear!

0 Likes
dlcj21
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got a replacement phone and all is working well.  Could be that the prior replacement phone I got to fix another issue was just bad.

My wife works near the mall so I let her take mine today to get the ghost armor replaced on the screen and I have hers.  She called me a few minutes ago and it's happening on her phone now, she said she never noticed it before.

I'm thinking that the new update has a bad sound driver included or they used multiple speaker types in these phones and only created the update for one.  I didn't start hearing it until I adjusted the volume, once I did that, the static happens every 5-10 seconds.  It's possible that this speaker is blown too.

Would really be cool to get the official stance on this though...When I called in to report it before, they had me factory reset the phone like that would fix it...lol.

0 Likes